February 17, 2012 Meeting


<toddc> Welcome to AZLOCO IRC Meeting Please sign in with a +1
<spinrage> +1
<Dazed_75> +1
<toddc> +1
* Oboro (~Oboro@174-26-247-10.phnx.qwest.net) has joined #Ubuntu-US-AZ
<toddc> Team wiki site https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam
<toddc> Team membership http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445980
<toddc> Feel free to make comments and add input to our meeting at anytime.
<ththandle> +1
<toddc> some of us are in https://azlocobbb.banditti.com if you want to see us or talk to us
<_ericcc> +1
* dwayne (~dwayne@wsip-24-249-177-197.ph.ph.cox.net) has joined #Ubuntu-US-AZ
<toddc> Anybody here that is new tonight?
<toddc> hi dwayne
<dwayne> good evening
<toddc> over to Dazed_75 for the news
* turbidtux (~chatzilla@ip68-2-151-174.ph.ph.cox.net) has joined #Ubuntu-US-AZ
<Dazed_75> LEMP server configuration on Ubuntu Linux
<Dazed_75>     http://how-to.linuxcareer.com/lemp-server-configuration-in-ubuntu-linux
<toddc> turbidtux: hello!!!
<Dazed_75> Ubuntu cleanup
<Dazed_75>     http://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/ubuntu-cleanup/
<turbidtux> hey...
<Dazed_75> Samsung UEFI bug: Notebook bricked from Windows
<Dazed_75>     http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Samsung-UEFI-bug-Notebook-bricked-from-Windows-1801439.html
<Dazed_75>     http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/77278.html
<smccarthy> +1
<Dazed_75> Unity Privacy Indicator: Quickly Enable or disable Dash online search results or Zeitgeist logging
<Dazed_75>     http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/unity-privacy-indicator-quickly-enable.html
<Dazed_75> Terra: Drop-down terminal emulator with support for multiple terminals in one window
<Dazed_75>     http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/terra-drop-down-terminal-emulator-with.html
<Dazed_75> New kernel vulnerabilities affect Ubuntu 11.10
<Dazed_75>     http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-Kernel-Vulnerabilities-Affect-Ubuntu-11-10-328965.shtml
<Dazed_75> HP announces Ubuntu Management Component Pack for ProLiant Servers
<Dazed_75>     http://news.softpedia.com/news/HP-Announces-Ubuntu-Management-Component-Pack-for-ProLiant-Servers-328967.shtml
<Dazed_75> How to integrate DropBox into Thunar (file manager used by XFCE)
<Dazed_75>     http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-integrate-dropbox-into-thunar-fedora-18-xfce
<Dazed_75> Contrary to a popular rumor, Microsoft Office is NOT coming to Linux
<Dazed_75>     http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-office-is-not-coming-to-linux-7000011151/
<Dazed_75> Ubuntu Phone App design guidelines go live
<Dazed_75>     http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/ubuntu-phone-app-design-guidelines-published
<Dazed_75> Ambiance theme for KDE
<Dazed_75>     http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/ubuntu-ambiance-plasma-theme-kde
<Dazed_75> Spotify rival Rdio get new Ubuntu app
<Dazed_75>     http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/rdio-app-for-ubuntu-desktop
<Dazed_75> Popular remote desktop tool Teamviewer 8 for Linux (Stable) released
<Dazed_75>     http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/popular-remote-desktop-tool-teamviewer.html
<Dazed_75> Securing your Linux PC
<Dazed_75>     http://beginlinux.com/blog/2013/02/securing-your-linux-pc/
<Dazed_75> Steam added to Ubuntu Software Center, celebrates with big sale
<Dazed_75>     http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/steam-added-to-ubuntu-software-center-celebrates-with-big-sale
<Dazed_75> Ubuntu smartphone developer preview arrives February 21
<Dazed_75>     http://www.zdnet.com/ubuntu-smartphone-developer-preview-arrives-next-week-7000011383/
<Dazed_75> Secure Boot comes to Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
<Dazed_75>     http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Secure-Boot-comes-to-Ubuntu-12-04-2-LTS-1804203.html
<Dazed_75> 13.04 Stuff
<Dazed_75>     http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/new-window-switching-method-added-to-unity
<Dazed_75>     http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/ubuntu-13-04-gains-improved-mouse-touchpad-settings
<Dazed_75>     http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/xubuntu-1304-raring-ringtail-iso-size.html
<Dazed_75> ... and that's it from AJ.  Hope you all saw something interesting
<toddc> thanks Dazed_75
<MikeofMany> good stuff dazed
<toddc> I have a few more to add!!
<toddc> How to get Ubuntu up and running on your Microsoft Surface Pro
<toddc> http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-get-ubuntu-and-running-your-microsoft-surface-pro
<toddc> Opera plans transition to WebKit engine
<toddc> http://phys.org/news/2013-02-opera-transition-webkit.html
<toddc> TEAM NEWS
<toddc> Ubuntu global jam is back Saturday March 2 at UAT's installfest
<toddc> you can also attend online at http://azlocobbb.banditti.com/
<toddc> http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/global/2221/detail/
<jdledingham> +1
<toddc> http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-arizona/2223/detail/
<toddc> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam
<Dazed_75> Hiya jdledingham 
<toddc> Reminder SCALE Conf Febuary 22-24th
<toddc> Several members have decided to start a security team based at MCC
<toddc>  the first meeting will be March 27 at MCC room BA14 4-5 pm
* Ryan_J (~chatzilla@ip70-190-46-209.ph.ph.cox.net) has joined #Ubuntu-US-AZ
<toddc> http://www.azloco.org/node/28
<MikeofMany> toddc do you have more info on the MCC security team?
<toddc> Ryan_J: would you like to talk about the MCC security tem meeting?
<Oboro> I too am interested in hearing more about it
<toddc> all I have is this will be the first meeting to elect officers
<ththandle> 'ello MikeofMany
<Ryan_J> Sure. Our first official meeting is set for February 27th from 4pm to 5pm. It should mainly be just official stuff. Elections and such.
<MikeofMany> ello ththandle
<Ryan_J> I am going to propose during that meeting that we have some play time at the school. I'm thinking every other friday.
<toddc> I am hoping that someone can fill us in on details soon on a regular basis
<toddc> cool
<toddc> anything else on that meeting?
<turbidtux> ryan J, do you have an email we can send ideas to? Stuff we want to learn?
<ththandle> 'elllo Ryan_J
<Ryan_J> If you would like to sign up for the mailing list, this is the link: http://eepurl.com/uELwj
<Ryan_J> I'll brb. GF aggro
* Alex___ (18fbc518@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #Ubuntu-US-AZ
<toddc> JOB LIST
<ththandle> Good thought, email for ideas Ryan_J
<toddc> Senior Network Engineer at our Teams Data center they have several openings tofill
<toddc> jobs@oneneck.com
<toddc> Several openings at Limelight Networks
<toddc> http://www.limelight.com/company/careers/
<toddc> Linux System Administrator
<toddc> jobs@ebocom.ne
<Dazed_75> toddc, We lost you in BBB
<xHans> I know of serveral MySQL ( and also big data ) openings in the valley: Limelight, GoDaddy, east valley city. Let me know if you or someone you know would be interested
<toddc> it rebooted not sure why
<toddc> Android app Pick
<toddc> Tasker  $7.00
<toddc> http://tasker.dinglisch.net/
<toddc> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en
<toddc>  Linux app of the week
<Dazed_75> BRB, empty glass aggro
<ththandle> any intern work xHans
<ChocolatStarfish> toddc: I seem to have lost Don's cpontact info during one of my migrations:  could you get it for me pleasae?
<xHans> ththandle: I've got leads on several intern positions, trying to get more details
<Oboro> SRP also has some job openings https://www.srp.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.searchJobs
<toddc> Pianobar   pianobar is a free/open-source, console-based client for the personalized online radio Pandora.
<_ericcc> (( hans should have a take your student to work day :P))
<xHans> ththandle: http://careers.mozilla.org/en-US/ and https://blog.mozilla.org/university/learn-about-mozilla/
<ththandle> I am interested.
* ChocolatStarfish is now known as ack-fin
<toddc> ChocolatStarfish: yes
<ack-fin> thank you
<xHans> summer internships where you probably have to move to SV for the summer, but I believe Mozilla provides room and board
<ththandle> second that! _ericcc
<xHans> _ericcc: that would be cool, hmmmmm :)
<_ericcc> (( i'm sorry, hans should have a create a slave out of a student at work day ))
<ack-fin> are there any internships in Cabo Dan Lucas?
<Oboro> ththandle: what type of intern ship are you looking for?
<xHans> KDE is always looking for help and can count as an internship, hop in #kde-sysadmin to ask about what they need
<Ryan_J> Still dealing with aggro. but my email is rj98942@gmail.com
<ththandle> San
<ththandle> ack-fin:
<ack-fin> oops...typo
<xHans> _ericcc: you need to be a minion for several weeks before there's really any benefit
<xHans> bwuahahahahha :)
<ththandle> :-P
<ack-fin> meaning you'll be short, yellow, and wear a scubva mask at all times
<Oboro> By benefit he means bring down the network with hans' account
<ththandle> but minions are killed off  not a good long term plan . . .
<xHans> Cabo Dan Lucas? is that the Star Wars guy's south of the border cousin?
<ack-fin> xHans: I'n ubcertain....ex-cia and won't give strasight answers
<toddc> azloco.com emails ar still availible also if anyone wants to use one
<ththandle> Is he writing in code now?
<ack-fin> you know the type:  always carries a cyanide cap inside a cigarette pack in his pocket
<Dazed_75> While we are kinda paused, everyone think about if AZloco should hold physical meetings and what you would like out of them
* Ryan_J has quit (Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.90 [Firefox 18.0.2/20130201065344])
<Oboro> the good ones have it implanted in a tooth
<ththandle> I will put the word out toddc ,
<Oboro> Dazed_75: where and when would the meetings be?
<toddc> and kittens!
<ack-fin> Oboro: yeah, I'[m not man enbough for that - afraid my next seisure could be my last by accident
<ththandle> I would like to see one at MCC now and then. Big pool of new peeps to intrest?!
<turbidtux> [R]:  well... there goes six figures.....
<ththandle> interest
<[R]> lol
<Dazed_75> Likely at at a Tempe facility.  We would have to pay a few bucks for a janitor
<Dazed_75> We'd love to be at MCC but it seems not to be in the cards if we can't have PLUG there any more
<toddc>  Linux app of the week
<toddc> Pianobar   pianobar is a free/open-source, console-based client for the personalized online radio Pandora.
<toddc> http://6xq.net/projects/pianobar/
<turbidtux> Dazed_75: Yes, presentations, like for software to replace whats on the other two popular OS's
<ththandle> With xHans there and our new Tech group I was hoping to bring plug back in the BA40 building?
<ththandle> as a guest once a month
<toddc> Pianobar to Conky
<toddc> http://i.imgur.com/Hnq9c.jpg
<ththandle> I was looking into it. I will get back with everyone.
<xHans> ththandle: dennisk indicated we couldn't regularly get the same room
<toddc> that would be cool if possible
<Oboro> hans: Why does it have to be the same room?
<xHans> we'd like to stay at MCC, but it sounded like it's no longer an option
<xHans> Oboro: for the same reason classes and business offices don't move around :), it's hard for people to find us
<Oboro> It is a shame that, that is the case
<ththandle> well I will have to talk about that in our group meeting. It is my hope to build the group not kick it around.
<xHans> ththandle: yeah
<Oboro> .. I have had classes move around makes life interesting!
<Oboro> hans: what about the conference room in the library?
<xHans> a student group has more options at MCC ( which should be the case ), also by meeting during the day there are more rooms available
<ththandle> Oboro: no comment from the peanut gallary
<xHans> Oboro: that would work if we could get it
<ththandle> ok now that is a good idea
<Oboro> ththandle: that is the best place to comment from!
<ththandle>  ha ha ha
<Oboro> hans: do they post a schedule for the conference rooms do you know?
<xHans> Oboro: I think the rose society meets during the time we'd need it and they've been there since before MCC was ( I think the campus was built around them ), plus they give the college tons and tons of dough, so they're not budging
<ththandle> MikeofMany: do you still have the desk?
<MikeofMany> ththandle, which desk?
<ththandle> the one you were going to throw out. I still want it
<_ericcc> ththandle: wrong mike :p
<xHans> Oboro: don't know, dennisk has been handling MCC scheduling for us ( I believe Colleen does the actual reservations )
<MikeofMany> yeah don't think I'm that mike
<ththandle> oh , dang it . sorry
<Oboro> hans: that is a shame the room is a decent size.. I don't know of any other conference rooms now that they ruined the kirk center
<ththandle> he has too many handles
<MikeofMany> no worries, I was about to say that was over 4 years ago
<toddc> are we ready to go over the schedules?
<ththandle> yeah why the change at the conference center. why was it not at BA40 to start with ?
<toddc> Thursday Febuary 28 is the next Ubuntu Hour at Extreme Bean in Tempe southern and McClintock
<toddc> http://xtremebeancoffee.com
<toddc> this a 1-2 hour social hour to meet new/old users and chat about linux and open source. Stop by and say hi!!
<xHans> Oboro: I don't know, feel free to check into it if you can, staying at MCC is definitely our preferred solution
<toddc> this a 1-2 hour social hour to meet new/old users and chat about linux and open source. Stop by and say hi!!
<xHans> BA40 is the room we were in last week?
<toddc> Azloco/plug Desktop Emphasis installfest is March 2  at UAT 10am to 4  PM 2625 W Baseline Rd 85283 Tempe across from Fry's Electronics 10AM to 4M 2625 W Baseline Rd 85283 Room 208 st and Baseline Rd enter from the rear of the front building.
<toddc> We will also be streaming all events on http://azlocobbb.banditti.com/  but until we get organized
<toddc> I will start as soon as possible after events start but due to setup time I hope to find others to run it  as we get bigger. This will let other's participate and be more active state/world wide but will take time to develop and and get the word out.
<toddc> If you have time or want to meet any of us or have problems feel free to show up.
<toddc> Tagose planning and development meeting on March 9 10am-4 pm  2625 W Baseline Rd 85283 Room 208 across the street from Fry's Electronics
<toddc> The next Server Emphasis Installfest will be Saturday March 16 at UAT  10AM to 4M 2625 W Baseline Rd 85283 Room 208 across the street from Fry's Electronics enter from the rear of the  front building we will do desktops/laptops as time permits
<toddc> For more info see
<toddc> AzloCo.com calender at http://www.azloco.com/?q=node/28
<toddc> Other Classes
<toddc> Crashed Course: Open Sourcery Gimp
<toddc> http://www.ecollegetimes.com/student-life/crashed-course-open-sourcery-1.2809038#.URVgp5HRE8h
<toddc> Any thoughts on other events or projects???
<toddc> we should get set up on meetup.com anyone that would like to take this on please contact me or yell or???  Several other Teams have had great luck gaining new users/members using meetup.com
<toddc> over to xHans!!
<ththandle> xHans: I will talk to some of the student government officials to see if there is a way to plea for space as it ties in directly to our new group focus
<xHans> moin moin
<xHans> ththandle: excellent
<toddc> it was BP1s room last week
<xHans> ththandle: it also ties into our classes
<xHans> toddc: that's it
* xHans could remember B?1S, but couldn't match the glob :)
<xHans> Arizona Sci-Tech Festival is still going on http://azscitechfest.org/
<xHans> The Free Software Stammtisch is this Tuesday night
<xHans> 19:00 at Iguana Macks in Chandler
<ththandle> meetup is a good place but . . .
<xHans> http://www.LuftHans.com/Free_Software_Stammtisch#East_Valley
<xHans> SCaLE is this coming weekend, Feb 20-22
<xHans> s/20-22/22-24/
<xHans> we're doing ride-sharing again this year, contact me or hop in the thread on PLUG-discuss if you're interested
<xHans> I'm running the BoFs during the evenings again, so let me know if you'd like to help
<xHans> SCaLE is looking for volunteers to help, can get complimentary pass to SCaLE
<xHans> dennisk, Robyn B, Thomas C and I are Arizonans doing presentations this year
<xHans> https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale11x
<xHans> CactusCon: security conference in Phoenix, 2013Mar22
<xHans> http://www.cactuscon.com/speakers
<xHans> Inkscape and GIMP class, 4th Tuesday of the month, $20.00
<ththandle> xHans: you have a bus?
<xHans> that's a week from Tuesday
<xHans> http://www.ecollegetimes.com/student-life/crashed-course-open-sourcery-1.2809038#.URVdXpFx0xA
<xHans> toddc: that's it from me
<xHans> ththandle: no bus, but we do have several cars going over
<ththandle> the 300 pass?
<toddc> xHans Thanks for keeping us up to date on plug
<xHans> toddc: bitte
<xHans> ththandle: 300 pass?
<toddc> that is all I have any questions or comments or other news or ideas?
<ththandle> k I am set but I like the pass Idea I would be happy to help
<_ericcc>   I think that was the most interactive  meeting i've experienced yet! Good job guys!
* xHans hands toddc a pair of hot toddies and recommends sleep
<ththandle> second that
<toddc> Thanks for coming tonight. I will be here a while if anyone needs help or has a question
<xHans> ththandle: "If you can spare a couple of hours on Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday to lend a hand we would appreciate your help. Volunteers will receive a free pass to SCALE."
<toddc> I may not post the news or email tll tomorrow
<xHans> I'll get a contact addy
<turbidtux> CactusCON has only 6 tickets remaining
<Oboro> if I didn't have a day job I would certainly help
<_ericcc> oh shoot i forgot you have to register for a bsides!
<ththandle> X I will be there, just ask when you need help
<ththandle> thanks _ericcc
<_ericcc> whew, just registered, thanks turbidtux !
<xHans> ththandle: cool, you can help with BoFs :)

Parent pages: ArizonaTeam/Meetings ArizonaTeam


ArizonaTeam/Meetings/February 17, 2012 Meeting (last edited 2013-02-18 04:48:30 by 173-20-82-52)