Sunday November 19, 2017
Welcome to the Ubuntu-Arizona Local Community Team Wiki page. We are an Approved Ubuntu Local Community Team and a volunteer organization within the State of Arizona who are committed to Ubuntu advocacy and education. Our goal is to increase the public awareness and use of Ubuntu and Free and Open Source Software in our state. Our Community Projects are geared so that we return more to the community than we receive, and we always endeavor to live up to the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.
If you are interested in helping our team achieve its goals, please follow these instructions: Membership. They will assist you in registering at launchpad, and the ubuntu-us-az mailing list. It will also give you instructions on setting up the IRC chat client XChat so that you can join our team IRC channel and chat with all our team members. We offer a casual social atmosphere while at the same time working to promote Ubuntu.
Our online meetings are held every Sunday on IRC Channel: #ubuntu-us-az in irc.freenode.net at 9:00 pm MST (4:00 am UTC). If you are unfamiliar with IRC chat channels, there are instructions on how to set up xchat listed in the above Membership link. You can also go to our web site at http://www.azloco.org/ and click the support link to enter the IRC channel.
Ubuntu also hosts online training sessions. You can see their calendar at http://people.ubuntu.com/~nhandler/classroom.html which shows UTC not Arizona time. Also check out http://ubuntuonair.com/calendar for more events and classes.
We also have a team Big Blue Button Server at https://bbb.azloco.net/ to augment our on line meetings with video chat. It is also anticipated that it will be used for lectures and presentations when physical presence is not practical or impossible to achieve. Check it out or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Ubuntu Arizona Local Community (AZLOCO) and the Phoenix Linux User Group (PLUG) co-sponsor two install-fests each month on the First and Third Saturdays from 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., at the University of Advancing Technology (UAT) across from Fry's Electronics at 2625 W Baseline Rd Tempe, AZ 85283, room 206/207. Enter from the rear of the front building.
- Installfest 28 October 2017 at the University of Arizona South 1140 N. Colombo Ave, Sierra Vista AZ
- Installfest 16 September 2017 at the Mesa Center for Higher Education 245 W 2nd St, Mesa, AZ.
- Installfest 19 August 2017 at the University of Advancing Technologies, Tempe, AZ
- Installfest 15 July 2017 at the University of Arizona South, Sierra Vista campus, Sierra Vista AZ.
- Installfest 01 July 2017 at the University of Advancing Technology, Tempe AZ.
- Installfest 20 May 2017 at the University of Advancing Technology, Tempe AZ.
After 6 gruelling hours, about a dozen of the Installfest participants retired to Tom's Barbecue where one of the Team Members successfully completed the Full House Challenge consuming a vast amount of food in 30 minutes. He was rewarded with a free meal, a T-shirt, and $50 in food vouchers. Congratulations Nicholas.
- Installfest 6 May 2017 at the University of Advancing Technology, Tempe AZ. We start them young.
- Installfest 1 April 2017 at Gangplank, Chandler AZ
- Installfest 4 March 2017 at University of Advancing Technology, Tempe AZ
- Installfest was conducted at the University of Arizona South, Sierra Vista campus in conjunction with the Cochise Linux User Group on 28 January 2017.
- Installfest 7 January 2017 at University of Advancing Technology, Tempe AZ
- Installfest 3 December 2016 at University of Advancing Technology, Tempe AZ
- Installfest 15 October 2016 at University of Advancing Technology, Tempe AZ
- Installfest 17 September 2016 at University of Advancing Technology, Tempe AZ
- Installfest 6 February 2016 at University of Advancing Technology, Tempe AZ
- Installfest 16 January 2016 at University of Advancing Technology, Tempe AZ
- Ubuntu Hours are held in Tempe AZ on the 1st and 4th Thursdays of each month and in Sierra Vista AZ on the 4th Thursday of each month. They are generally social gatherings that concentrate on publicizing Ubuntu, Linux, and Free and Open Source Software. Discussions on various topics inevitably occur but it is a time to enjoy a cup of coffee, meet other Linux users and to socialize with them.
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 16 November 2017
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 28 September 2017
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 24 August 2017
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 27 July 2017
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 22 June 2017
- Tempe Ubuntu Hour 01 June 2017
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 27 April 2017
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 23 March 2017
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 23 February 2017
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 26 January 2017
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 22 December 2016
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 17 November 2016
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 27 October 2016
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 26 May 2016
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 22 October 2015
- Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour 25 June 2015
- Tempe Ubuntu Hour 4 June 2015
- Tempe Ubuntu Hour 28 May 2015
- As stated in the introduction, our goals are to help spread the use of Ubuntu and Free and Open Source Software in the State of Arizona. We will implement team and community service projects as needed to achieve these goals.
Ubuntu Hour Events are currently being held in Tempe (1st & 4th Thursday of every month) and Sierra Vista (4th Thursday of each month).
- IRC meetings are held weekly on Sunday nights. The IRC channel is open 24 hours a day to help users with questions and communicate with team members.
- Release Parties, we do demonstrations of new features and installations for our team and local participants.
- Members participate in Ubuntu Global Jams.
- Our Team supports and attends local security events, supplies networking equipment, servers, DVD's and banners as well as teaches or trains on many computer related subjects.
Attend the monthly Phoenix Linux User Group (PLUG) meetings http://phxlinux.org/ to conduct liaison, distribute CD/DVDs, exchange Ubuntu & FOSS information, and demonstrate new programs.
Attend the monthly Linux User Group of Yavapai (LUGY) meetings http://lugy.net/ to conduct liaison, distribute CD/DVDs, exchange Ubuntu & FOSS information, and demonstrate new programs.
Attend the monthly Sunland Linux User Group (SLUG) meetings http://www.svecc.com/SLUG/slug.htm to conduct liaison, distribute CD/DVDs, exchange Ubuntu and FOSS information, and demonstrate new programs.
Attend the semi-monthly Cochise Linux User Group (CLUG) meetings http://cochiselinux.com/ to conduct liaison, distribute CD/DVDs, exchange Ubuntu and FOSS information, and demonstrate new programs.
- 06 May 2017 AZLOCO and the Cochise Linux User Group combined to man an information booth at the West End Fair in Sierra Vista.
- In March 2017 The AZLOCO Team Leader had a birthday and was presented with a laptop computer cake.
- A presentation "What is Linux" was given to the Coronado Middle School Cyber Patriot Teams (Sierra Vista AZ) on 21 October 2016 by Rex Bouwense.
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Xenial Xerus, Release Party was held on 14 May 2016 in Chandler AZ hosted by Mr. & Mrs. Walter Mack.
- An information booth was manned by members of AZLOCO and CLUG at the Sierra Vista West End Fair to pass out information on Ubuntu, AZLOCO, and CLUG on 7 May 2016.
- A slide show presentation on Introduction to Linux was given to the Kingman Computer User Club on 14 February 2016 by Rex Bouwense. The presentation was well received as were the Ubuntu 14.04 install disks, the links to the AZLOCO IRC channel, web site and wiki page, and a list of Microsoft/Linux equivalents all of which were handed out to all attendees. When Microsoft Windows users realize that they do not have to throw away their Microsoft XP computer that has been gathering dust in the hall closet and it can be given a second life, their eyes really do light up. Although Tux was not physically present, he was there in spirit.
- A Linux Workshop was held in Tucson, AZ. on 28 Mar 2015.
AZLOCO members attended the Southern California Linux Expo SCALE 13x 19-22 Feb 2015.
- A presentation on Linux Basics was given by Todd Cole at the Computer Technology Conference on 19 Feb 2015 and AZLOCO members conducted a Linux installfest on 21 February at the conference.
- AZLOCO members participated in the Global Jam for Ubuntu 15.04 on 7 Feb 2015 during the semi-monthly Install-fest.
Server Team Page See how we are using Ubuntu server technology to help others statewide
- You will find our IRC Chat Channel especially helpful if you have specific questions about Ubuntu, or are in need of technical help. Our team meetings are every Sunday @ 9:00 PM local time on the IRC Channel. Feel free to drop in anytime you need help, or just to chat and get to know us.
- Ubuntu Team IRC Chat Channel: #ubuntu-us-az server: irc.freenode.net
Ubuntu Team Website: http://www.azloco.org/ also has direct link to our IRC channel
In addition AZLOCO has a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UbuntuAZTeam/ , a Google + page https://plus.google.com/111285361198176059670/posts and a Meet-Up page https://www.meetup.com/Ubuntu-Arizona
These are open projects that need your help.
Linux radio shows
Ubuntu News & Resources
- Thank you for taking the time to consider membership in AZLOCO, and please check back often.
If you encounter any problems which you can not resolve, please send an email to <email@example.com> describing your problem. We look forward to meeting you soon!