Nicolas (Nick) Barcet is the Ubuntu Server Product Manager at Canonical.
He is known as nijaba on Freenode and hangs out on #ubuntu-server, #ubuntu-virt, ...
He can be reached at nick(dot)barcet(at)canonical(dot)com
Contributions to Ubuntu
Packaging of limesurvey. Limesurvey is a PHP web application that allows to do virtually all kinds of online surveys. This was my first attempt at a Debian packaging and I had quite a bit of fun with dbconfig, wwwconfig, and quilt. Even made upstream add a couple functions so that installation and upgrade could be handled smoothly and automatically. Currently trying to convince them that libraries such as adodb, php-gettext or phpmailer should not be modified and directly included in their source.
Some code to ubuntu's vmbuilder, including IP address assignment, advanced partitioning, templating, building from and iso, firstboot and firstlogin, and multiple bug fixes.
Prepared and run a community survey for Ubuntu Server Edition. This survey will be put online shortly and has for goal to capture what are the strengths and weaknesses of Ubuntu as a Server.
Script to control the fans of Mac Book Pro (santa rosa), which is really a daemon to help me keep my macbook cool.
Complete refresh of the server pages on ubuntu.com for 8.04 (went from 1 to 25 pages)
Refresh of the Ubuntu Server Edition product brochure for 8.04.
Some code to screen profiles
- And a few other things...
Plans for the future
- Help fix bug #1 in as many ways as possible
- Work on making Ubuntu Server the best linux distribution for servers and virtual appliances
- Work with kamion on germinate and seed management to help users understand what is maintained and how everything is organized
- Help the community as best as I can
- Linux user since 1998 (Red-hat then Suse to start with) and Ubuntu convert since 6.06LTS
- Member of the Solutions Linux program committee since 2006 (France's largest event about Linux and Open Source Software)
- Speaker at many Linux events (Solutions Linux, OSCON, Linux-World, Conocimiento Libre, etc...)
Personal blog (mostly in french)
Small contributor and hoster of Hardware4linux
- and a few other things...
Nick is an excellent contributor and an essential member of the Ubuntu Server Community, definitely a deserving member of the Ubuntu Community at large (DustinKirkland).
Nick is a an excellent individual and an outstanding member of the Ubuntu Server community. I wholly support his application for Ubuntu membership. (ChuckShort)
Nick got my support as well - he made great contributions to Ubuntu as a virtualisation platform - I love ubuntu-vm-builder He is also a very nice guy, helping out on IRC channels, contributing documentation... we need more people like him ( YannHamon )