February 2012 Team Reports
If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.
Americas Regional Membership Board
- Results for the Americas Regional Membership Board Meeting February 16, 2012
Asia Oceania Regional Membership Board
There were not enough board members present to achieve quorum. Discussions on how to rectify the quorum issue are ongoing to improve this in the future.
2012-02-02 Meeting (log):
- Meeting with the DMB
- Everything generally alright.
- Meetings happening regularly.
- Less MOTUs applying.
- Ubuntu Contributing Developer status might be less important. Should it be removed?
- Wiki Teams Page
- Review Next week (6-10 Feb)
- Blog on Fridge so community can update any teams they feel are missing
- CoC 2.0
- Daniel to put up a merge proposal with the proposed text changes
- Voting Services
- Scott asked if Google App Engine was OK.
- Meeting with the DMB
2012-02-16 Meeting log):
- Checkup with the IRC Council
- The new council is doing well, they have had 3 productive meetings
- made progress on the floodbot code which is now in a launchpad private repository
- process of welcoming #lubuntu into the list of core channels is well underway with operator training starting soon
- Things are relatively quiet right now, but channel/operator organization and appeals tend to be the biggest timesinks.
- have a bit of a list of task to organise around bots
Explained the appeals process https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/AppealProcess
- Considering is to do a training course every release cycle, so they have a regular intake of a batch of new operators
- another thing we will be doing in 3 months or so is filling the empty 5th seat on the IRCC
- PPA (Personal Package Archive) and CoC (Code of Conduct)
Brought up on the launchpad-dev mailing list: RFC: either remove 'Ubuntu CoC signing required' for PPA use, or enforce it consistently
- Discussed whether there should be a click-through way to sign the CoC (no decision made)
- Discussed issue of CoC covering all of Launchpad using PPAs or just Ubuntu
- Agreed that yes we should be enforcing the signing of the CoC for PPA use (individuals AND teams)
- Launchpad Polls
- Polls are at present a cost to LP with regards to maintenance and it's a feature they are looking to help people move away from
Describes some of the issues for users (originally sent to private ubuntu-council-teams list)
- Need to address privacy concerns while still including individuals who do not share their email address in public in the voting pool
- Checkup with the IRC Council
Developer Membership Board
Developer Membership Board meeting, 2012-02-13
Chair: Stefano Rivera
Present: Stefano Rivera, Stéphane Graber, Micah Gersten, Iain Lane
Review of previous action items
1. cody-somerville to write some documentation on how to endorse someone.
2. tumbleweed to run the election to fill geser's seat
Ubuntu Core Developer Application: Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre
The application was discussed, voted on, and approved; For: 4 Against: 0 Abstained: 0
Confirmation of DMB restaffing election results
Barry was approved as the new DMB member; For: 4 Against: 0 Abstained: 0
Next chair: cody-somerville
EMEA Regional Membership Board
An update from the Forums Council for February of 2012
- If easily alterable, the forum banner will be periodically updated for special occasions.
- Forms upgrade - The FC is pleased to see progress as the forums begin to evolve.
- FC leadership - bodhi.zazen and s-fox will serve as co-chairs - other duties will rotate amongst Forum Council members.
- The forum staff will provide a presence in #ubuntuforums irc channel - as participants, not police.
- We approved two new Ubuntu Membership Applications - congratulations to both.
- Chair: Martin Pitt
- Attendees: Stephane Graber, Soren Hansen
- Guests: Jono Bacon, Michael Hall, Allison Randal
- Action review:
- Kees to perform brainstorm review → dropped this cycle, next one will already be in March
Laney and wendar to get trademark policy updated wrt remixes → done, see bug 933187 (website will be updated soon, already changed internally)
- Can an ARB exception be made allowing Scopes packages to depend on Lens packages in extras (Michael Hall)
- Lenses/scopes stretch the original idea of the Extras repository a bit, but the ARB considers them appropriate content.
- Introducing dependencies into extras will require the ARB to now perform dependency checks and makes it harder to remove software: they will need to remove reverse dependencies as well, introduce automatic reports for consistency checks, i. e. introduce the need for distro-like archive management.
- An alternative proposal was made to only use Recommends: and ensure that scope packages will behave gracefully if the corresponding lens disappears. This was deemed to be violating the spirit of the extras repository policy and a workaround.
Resolution: Let the ARB decide if they are willing to do the extra work introduced by allowing this particular case of dependency. The TB will then decide about a proposed amendment to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ExtensionRepositoryPolicy .
Ubuntu Development Teams
Ubuntu LoCo Teams
- February 1st: irc meeting about Precise Pangolin Ubuntu Global Jam.
February 16th: irc meeting about Precise Pangolin Ubuntu Global Jam that will be in Sant Adrià de Besòs. http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu.cat/1547/detail/
- "Stichting Ondersteuning Ubuntu-NL" (Foundation Support Ubuntu-NL) is allowed to use resources for making t-shirts to generate income.
Executed action point
- A first draft of the script for the community council elections has been presented.
- Ubuntu Nederland has been registered for reapproval at 21 February 8:00 pm Dutch time.
- The reapproval page has been updated.
An agreement has been reached with HCC about the organisation of a release party. From the foundation, two people were present at the conference on the isle of Texel.
Running affairs settled, no further peculiarities.
This month, the buttons on the website were replaced again by links because of the preferences of the Artwork Team and the accessibility of the website. Besides that, the default things, mostly 'Ubuntero of the month'.
German Kubuntu Team
The number of registered users on ubuntu.hu has surpassed 25000: http://ubuntu.hu/node/29132
We had our monthly IRC meeting on the first Thursday of the month as usual: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HungarianTeam/IRCMeetings
We regularly updated our loco site with the latest news: http://ubuntu.hu
- We did various translation-related tasks
South African Ubuntu team
Due to inactivity no LoCo meetings took place this month.
- Project "Svenska videoguider" (Swedish Screencasts) continued their work.
Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team
- Ubuntu Global Jam preparation
- Ubuntu flash coffee
Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team
United States Teams
US Teams Project
Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team
District of Columbia Team
Florida LoCo Team
Please update with team activity from 12/February here.
New York State Team
Presentations and Events:
- Musems and Area Attractions Technology Group IT Options Presentation - Feb. 9, 2012 18:00 EST
- Native Linux Gaming, Bonding NICs, Ubuntu Community Tools - Feb. 16, 2012 19:00 EST
- Hands on Linux Lab - Feb. 18, 2012
- IRC Meeting - Feb. 29, 2012 21:00 EST
Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team
- Team Meetings
- Ubuntu Jam Blog Posts
- Salem Ubuntu Hour for 2/3/12
- Salem Ubuntu Hour 2/24
* Event: This month's Madison Ubuntu Hour was February 18. This event is on the third Saturday of each month, and is hosted by Madison LUG. The next Madison Ubuntu Hour will be March 16.
* Monthly Meeting: There was no monthly meeting this month, due to schedule conflicts among several members.
Ubuntu Venezuela Team
Additional Ubuntu Teams
Ubuntu Accessibility Team
Ubuntu Beginners Team
Regular monthly meeting on February 8(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings/20120208) - 5 members in attendance, 51 minutes long, with duanedesign holding the chair.
- duanedesign is going to email the ML to get further team feedback on tweaking the mentor program.
- brainstorm on ways to reach new users looking to get involved in the coomunity.
Ubuntu Classroom Team
Ubuntu NGO Team
Team Meeting February 14th
- Based on research into other formal mentoring programs within FOSS, it was decided that our friendly, informal mentoring strategy is the best way forward, no formal mentoring program
Elizabeth Krumbach shared some instances of Ubuntu Women "In the press"
Hosted third Career Days session with Amber Graner on being a Community Manager