Project Lead: ?
If you are interested in joining this project, please add your name here. You can also add your Loco Team link to the Local Initiatives section (see below). Consider subcribing to this page so you are informed of changes and additions.
Ubuntu in Libraries is a project to put together an online guide for effective placement of Ubuntu media (CDs, DVDs and books) in local libraries where Ubuntu members wish to further use of Ubuntu. Although the ShipIt initiative has been extraordinarily succesful in delivering thousands of CD-ROMs worldwide, we need a more effective way to make fewer CDs and media have a greater impact locally, by increasing their availability through library lending.
- Produce a simple guide to approach local libraries to accept donations of professionally / home-produced CD-ROM images of Ubuntu's various distributions (initially, i386, PPC and AMD64)
- Provide guidelines and links to existing DIYMaterial or new specific material to produce the media that will be proposed to the libraries
- Report local success stories about libraries where Ubuntu becomes available for lending
- Establish a list of libraries and appropriate contacts
Open Source Lending CD's in Libraries: Howto (PDF link)
DVD Labels and Jacket Covers
See also Kubuntu Artwork - DVD label just in time for the Holidays (Label available in GIMP format, plus DVD Jacket in French and English available in SVG/Inkscape format)
Add your local initiative for UbuntuInLibraries here
- In Finland a localized versions of Ubuntu CD's have been made and they are available in most of the Finnish libraries along with a 24-page basic Ubuntu-guide. Both have ISBN numbers (published by Sange Coop).
- Get an ISSN number. This should be a separate ISSN for every initiative that produces localized content for the DVD-case insert.
- Announcement in forums and mailing lists