10October31

Agenda

  1. Introductions
  2. Announcements
  3. Discussion
  4. PLUG Announcements
  5. ETC

If you have additions to the Agenda, please post them here after confirming with toddc or scott_ev.

Log

toddc>  Welcome to AZLOCO IRC Meeting Please sign in with a +1
[21:00] <fuzzyvader>    +1
[21:00] <toddc> +1
[21:00] <scott_ev>      +1+1
[21:00] <toddc> 9.00
[21:00] <ravitejavad>   +1
[21:00] <LostPenguin>   +1
[21:00] <FernHans>      moin moin, dual-meetinging
[21:00] <toddc> Our launch pad site
[21:00] <toddc> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-arizona
[21:00] <toddc> Our web site is azloco.com
[21:01] <toddc> lot of stuff tonight so let me know if I need to go over anything
[21:01] <toddc> ravitejavad is new tonight so say hi and welcome him
[21:01] <fuzzyvader>    yo
[21:01] <scott_ev>      welcome
[21:01] <ravitejavad>   hi everybody
[21:01] <toddc> Anyone here new tonight please introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself?
[21:01] <scott_ev>      what does that nic mean?
[21:01] <toddc> be nice!
[21:02] <ravitejavad>   it is my name
[21:02] <scott_ev>      ok, cool
[21:02] <scott_ev>      where are you?
[21:02] <ravitejavad>   i live in tempe,az but am from Indiaq
[21:02] <ravitejavad>   *India
[21:02] <scott_ev>      excellent
[21:02] <toddc> I live in Tempe also
[21:02] <ravitejavad>   cool
[21:02] <scott_ev>      which part of India?
[21:03] <ravitejavad>   the southern part
[21:03] <toddc> Feel free to make comments and add input to our meeting at anytime.
[21:03] <scott_ev>      ok, thanks fort answering
[21:03] <ravitejavad>   sure
[21:03] <toddc> Here is new news from ubuntu news:
[21:03] <toddc> Ubuntu manual Project opening Job listings
[21:03] <toddc> http://itigloo.com/2011/03/04/ubuntu-manual-project-job-openings/
[21:03] <toddc> Quick Ubuntu install using minimal installer
[21:04] <toddc> http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/03/speed-up-your-ubuntu-install-with-ubuntu-minimal/
[21:04] <toddc> Ubuntu cancels 11.04 UNR since Unity interface is the same. Netbook remix
[21:04] <toddc> Ubuntu 11.10 to be named Oneirc Ocelot
[21:04] <toddc> Ubuntu is the 4th Most Popular linux Distribution on web servers and continues to grow faster
[21:04] <toddc> http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/02/ubuntu-is-4th-most-popular-linux.html
[21:05] <toddc> ATI full support will be included in 11.04 I am using it ATM
[21:05] -->|    Eric-A (~eric@184-98-16-177.phnx.qwest.net) has joined #Ubuntu-US-AZ
[21:05] <toddc> hello eric-A
[21:05] <Eric-A>        hello
[21:05] <toddc> Ubuntu Globbal Jam April 1-3
[21:05] <toddc> http://www.linuxsouls.com/node/32
[21:05] <toddc> any interest in doing a group event or getting involved?
[21:06] <toddc> Why every ubuntu user must install ubuntu tweak!
[21:06] <toddc> http://www.muktware.com/a/23/2011/787/why-every-ubuntu-user-must-install-ubuntu-tweak
[21:06] <scott_ev>      I can't commit to that
[21:06] <toddc> How to sync windows with ubuntu one
[21:06] <toddc> http://www.howtogeek.com/news/sync-your-windows-computer-with-your-ubuntu-one-account-desktop-client/3776/
[21:06] <toddc> Spotlight on Linux: Puppy Linux 5.2
[21:06] <toddc> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/spotlight-linux-puppy-linux-52
[21:07] <toddc> Ubuntu 11.04 will include upgrade option on live disk
[21:07] <toddc> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/ubuntu-live-cd-will-let-you-upgrade-to.html
[21:07] <toddc> Are there any interests in doing any other group projects--installfests or server projects?
[21:07] <ravitejavad>   interested.
[21:07] <toddc> Job list
[21:07] <toddc> AMD hiring over 1000 IT/linux engineers
[21:07] <toddc> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTIwNA
[21:08] <toddc> Free open source auction site bunfu.com
[21:08] <toddc> http://www.buntfu.com/
[21:08] <scott_ev>      hey
[21:08] <toddc> YO
[21:08] <scott_ev>      you need to slow down and let people answer your question
[21:08] <ravitejavad>   any news about Nvidia optimus technology support on 11.04?
[21:08] <scott_ev>      ravitejavad: said yes, interested and you just kept going
[21:09] <toddc> I have not seen anything on it but I usually only check when I run into a problem
[21:09] <ravitejavad>   oks
[21:10] <scott_ev>      does that mean we'll be discussing installfests/server projects later?
[21:10] <toddc> any ideas on what and hoe to participate in it?
[21:10] <toddc> yes
[21:10] <scott_ev>      I'll be at teh installfest
[21:10] <toddc> Tucson or Tempe or both
[21:10] <scott_ev>      unless something happens that I can't get out of
[21:10] <scott_ev>      both
[21:11] <toddc> cool
[21:11] <scott_ev>      I plan on starting to attend monthly at UAT like before
[21:11] <fuzzyvader>    when's tempe?
[21:11] <scott_ev>      fuzz, I need to talk to you after the meeting
[21:11] <toddc> Azloco/plug installfest is this Saterday at UAT 48st and Baseline road Tempe across from Fry's Electronics 10AM to 4M 2625 W Baseline Rd 85283 Room 208
[21:11] <fuzzyvader>    scott_ev: cool
[21:12] <fuzzyvader>    crap I can't make it...
[21:12] <fuzzyvader>    I might try for tucson, but that's a hike for me
[21:12] <toddc> this saterday is the server installfest nesxt week is the normal installfest
[21:12] <ravitejavad>   toddc: i will attend normal installfest.
[21:12] <ravitejavad>   at tempe
[21:12] <fuzzyvader>    hmm I could prolly make next sat... this sat wife and I are celebrating anniversary
[21:13] <toddc> TUCSON INSTALLFEST NEWS
[21:13] <toddc> current plans are for me to drive to Tucson 4/2/2011 with my van to carpool leaving Azmills at 7:00AM
[21:13] <toddc> Dazed_75 will be with me anyone else?
[21:13] <fuzzyvader>    possibly
[21:13] <fuzzyvader>    will keep you posted
[21:14] <toddc> no hurry but let me know before the 2nd
[21:14] <ravitejavad>   maybe, but will confirm later
[21:14] <toddc> cool the more the merrier
[21:14] <toddc> Thanks to azmike he has posted over 30 flyer's for the Tucson installfest
[21:14] <ravitejavad>   toddc: will the Tucson be a server installfest
[21:15] <toddc> so we should have a good showing for the Tucson installfest
[21:15] <toddc> normal but will answer questions and help if we can
[21:16] <ravitejavad>   toddc: thanks
[21:16] <toddc> on servers since they usually take more time and are usually set up differently
[21:17] <toddc> I will be out of town next Saterday and miss the Server event
[21:18] <toddc> but will be at the normal and Tucson events
[21:18] <toddc> TEAM SERVER NEWS
[21:18] <toddc> The team servers needs updating at Devry so the plans are to get together some Saturday and update and rebuild both as a group event and will be lead by Shane Lofgren AKA slofgren but we need a date and a list of who is interested in this.
[21:19] <scott_ev>      I have to find out when shane is available and he won't know until after he talks to devry
[21:19] <toddc> ok so hold this a while?
[21:20] <toddc> The last several installfests have been very busy so if you have time or want to meet any of us or have problems feel free to show up.
[21:20] <scott_ev>      just let people know that we will be doing it
[21:21] <scott_ev>      and when I get more info from shane I'll report back to the team
[21:21] <toddc> I will need to read more about the global JAM unless anyone knows more about it and what or how to participate in it
[21:22] <scott_ev>      I've been involved before as an individual
[21:22] <scott_ev>      but am uncertain how a team participates
[21:23] <ravitejavad>   toddc: we could ask other LoCo teams who have registered
[21:23] <scott_ev>      ravitejavad: would you be willing to do some research for us?
[21:25] <toddc> if not I can check this week and bring it up at the next meeting
[21:27] <sloggerkhan>   I'm kinda a here...
[21:27] -->|    slofgren (~slofgren@unaffiliated/slofgren) has joined #Ubuntu-US-AZ
[21:27] <ravitejavad>   toddc: i will fo some research on it and contct the other teams
[21:27] <toddc> hello and welcome
[21:27] <scott_ev>      sloffy
[21:28] <scott_ev>      we were just discussing upgrading the servers as a team event
[21:28] <toddc> thanks I am here or toddc@azloco.com
[21:28] <toddc> The team servers needs updating at Devry so the plans are to get together some Saturday and ####update and rebuild both as a group event and will be lead by Shane Lofgren AKA slofgren but we ####need a date and a list of who is interested in this.
[21:30] <toddc> we put this on hold till we know more about when from you slofgren
[21:31] <toddc> here are a few events from plugaz
[21:31] <toddc> East side free software Stammtisch Tuesday at Iguana Macks 7:00PM 1371 N Alma School Rd Chandler AZ 85224
[21:31] =-=     Mode #Ubuntu-US-AZ +o slofgren by ChanServ
[21:31] =-=     Mode #Ubuntu-US-AZ +o scott_ev by slofgren
[21:31] <slofgren>      howdy
[21:32] <toddc> hello are with us now?
[21:32] <slofgren>      kinda
[21:32] <slofgren>      lol
[21:32] <slofgren>      eatting cereal
[21:33] <toddc> np we table the server stuff till we hear about when you are availible and can get access
[21:34] -->|    SlickMcRunFast (~mark@host-86-116.aztegmo.clients.pavlovmedia.com) has joined #Ubuntu-US-AZ
[21:34] <toddc> hey slick
[21:34] <slofgren>      you can always email me slofgren @ gmail
[21:34] <toddc> ok
[21:34] <slofgren>      I will try to be here for 9pm meetings
[21:34] <toddc> West side free software Stammtisch Thursday at Sals Tusan Grill 7:00PM 13291 W. McDowell Rd Goodyear AZ 85395
[21:35] <toddc> that is all I have anyone have anything else?
[21:36] <toddc> FernHans if you are here do you have any news for us? --I know he is in another meeting so he may not make it
[21:36] <slofgren>      I spray painted my sandisk USB drive yellow and waiting for then to dry - all my news
[21:37] =-=     Mode #Ubuntu-US-AZ +o toddc by slofgren
[21:37] <toddc> ABLEconf.com is April 2 at UAT
[21:37] <slofgren>      go nuts
[21:37] <slofgren>      REALLY?
[21:37] <toddc> thanks it will help
[21:38] <slofgren>      so is ableconf offical?
[21:38] <toddc> now I can get back at all those that kicked me out of here before
[21:38] <toddc> yes it is in it's third year
[21:38] <FernHans>      slofgren: yes, has been for months :)
[21:38] <toddc> http://www.ableconf.com/
[21:39] <FernHans>      toddc: the big thing is ABLEconf :)
[21:39] <FernHans>      as you said, it's the first Saturday in April at UAT
[21:39] * slofgren      feels bad for not being envolved
[21:39] <FernHans>      we've gotten confirmation from all but two presenters and will hopefully have the schedule up in a couple of days
[21:39] <toddc> due to my poor planning it is the same day as the Tucson Installfest
[21:40] <slofgren>      cancel it
[21:40] <scott_ev>      damnn, that's like choosing between Barak Hosein Obama and John the cripple McCain
[21:41] <slofgren>      o.O
[21:41] * scott_ev      is always politically correct
[21:41] <scott_ev>      haha
[21:41] <FernHans>      we have come cool talks this year: Local-Motors, Dell, accessiblity, several business talks, graphics, translation software, geneology, cloud computing, wikipedia, hackerspaces
[21:41] <slofgren>      always as in never
[21:41] <slofgren>      lol
[21:41] <scott_ev>      agreed
[21:41] <toddc> looks like we are getting a lot of RSVP to the Tucson installfest and a lot of linux users are emailing me about it
[21:41] <sloggerkhan>   hmm what day ableconf vs tucson installfest?
[21:42] <toddc> april 2
[21:42] <scott_ev>      FernHans: who's going to be the biggest players in cloud computing in the long run? What do you think of Silicon Graphics?
[21:42] <FernHans>      so ABLEconf is looking good
[21:42] <FernHans>      we also probably have a keynote this year :). on renewable energy and Free Software
[21:42] <scott_ev>      nice
[21:43] <slofgren>      say cloud one more time...
[21:43] <FernHans>      scott_ev: BTW, does your startup want a table?
[21:43] <scott_ev>      it is quite the buzz word this year
[21:44] <FernHans>      slofgren: we don't get to see them very often down here :)
[21:44] <toddc> some send me a live video feed from ableconf?
[21:44] <scott_ev>      FernHans: We dissolved that entity, sorry
[21:44] <eeeThugal>     :(
[21:45] <FernHans>      scott_ev: ah
[21:45] <FernHans>      toddc: we might have that
[21:45] <scott_ev>      in other words my partner went MIA after I quit shelling out the $
[21:45] <toddc> it would be used
[21:45] <FernHans>      toddc: ok, I'll hold you to that :)
[21:46] <toddc> I will show in Tucson if availible
[21:46] <scott_ev>      brb
[21:48] <toddc> that is about all I have for the meeting to night but I will be here a while if anyone has questions or comments
[21:48] <slofgren>      well I plan to be there unless the baby comes a month early


Parent pages: ArizonaTeam/Meetings ArizonaTeam


CategoryArizonaTeam

ArizonaTeam/Meetings/10October31 (last edited 2011-03-14 06:18:06 by tcole3737)