December 2009 Team Reports

If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.

Ubuntu Governance

Community Council

  • Refined Membership document.

  • CC meeting, 2009-12-15: discussed the future of sounder@ (and ubuntu-users@), proposal which is going to be discussed by the CC is to
    • set up guidelines for moderation if threads get out of hand or individiual users decide not to pay attention to requests for a more appropriate tone
    • discuss with the broader community
    • call for moderators for sounder@, if we don't get enough, we consider closing the list
    • we'll consider other lists for moderation if necessary

Developer Membership Board

  • Developer Membership Board meeting, 2009-12-08
    • Alberto Milone -> core-dev

    • Daniel Chen: ubuntu-core-dev reactivation
      • approved (+1: pitti, Keybuk, kees, cjwatson, mdz)
    • Adrian Perez: azureus, eclipse, swt-gtk
    • future roles of the DMB vs. motu-council
      • keep motu-council for non-developer-membership functions
      • nominate all members of TB and MC for 7 member election of DMB
      • [ACTION] mdz to drive election for DMB, based on existing members of TB and MC
    • Next meeting: 2009-12-22, 1500UTC. Chair: pitti
  • Developer Membership Board meeting, 2009-12-22
    • Attendees:
      • DMB: Martin Pitt (chair), Matt Zimmerman, Scott James Remnant
      • Guests: Alberto Milone, Scott Kitterman, Emmet Hikory
    • Review of previous action items:
      • mdz to drive election for DMB, based on existing members of TB and MC: ongoing, still waiting for one nominee to confirm/decline
    • Alberto Milone -> core-dev

      • Approved (+3 for, 0 against. 0 abstained)
    • Updating to reflect DMB changes (Emmet):

      • should applicants for core-dev be applying directly to the DMB, rather than first through the MC? → Yes
      • should core-dev applicants be encouraged to previously be Ubuntu Developers (in some way), or is that on a per-applicant basis? → Should not generally be required; depending on applicant's interests, (s)he can apply directly for core-dev, with a higher barrier for entry
      • Does the DMB also expect to take applicants for Contributing Developer? → Yes, since this was previously a function of the MC, which is being merged with DMB
        • ACTION: Emmet to ask CC to make DMB an admin of ~universe-contributors, as part of the DMB/MC merge

      • Would it make sense to list MOTU (and MC) as a delegated team by DMB? It was historically delegated by TB, but in its former function for approving developers; for consistent documentation, MOTU should now be regarded as a DMB delegate, similar to ubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-dev, etc.
      • OK. Last question: Is the term "Ubuntu Specialist Developer" acceptable as an umbrella category to describe members of "Ubuntu Desktop Developers", "Mythbuntu Developers", "Kubuntu Developers", and "MOTU"? → The discussion did not bring up a good term for this; decision was to go with "Ubuntu Developer (from delegated team)" for now and change to a better name later on
  • DMB election
    • Waiting for one nominated candidate to confirm/decline; decision should be made by Thursday, Dec 24
    • 3 weeks voting period, plus some slack for Christmas holidays
    • Voting period: 24 Dec to 18 Jan
  • Next meeting: 2010-01-05, 1500UTC. Chair: mdz

Forum Council

LoCo Council

MOTU Council

  • Meeting 2009-12-11
    • Mathieu Trudel accepted into the Contributing Developers team.
  • 2009-12-17
    • Michal Zajac accepted into MOTU based on email votes continuing from the 2009-12-11 meeting

Technical Board

  • Technical Board meeting, 2009-12-01 (chair mdz)
    • Prior action review, leaves the follow still to do:
      • [ACTION] cjwatson checking on IS RT #36139 to add devel-permissions
      • [ACTION] Scott to redraft Units policy to address Scott's and Matt's concerns and clean up language
      • [ACTION] Colin to clarify trademark/license distinction on licensing policy
    • Archive reorganisation (ColinWatson)

      • [ACTION] cjwatson to create a wiki reference for development teams to participate in the reorg

      • Would be good to outline a regression handling policy as well.
      • Default to assuming users want stability.
      • [ACTION] ScottK to revise proposal based on TB meeting discussion
    • When is it a good idea to fail out of a maintainer script? (mdz)
      • Generally, failing preinst is preferred to failing postinst.
      • Generally, daemon start-up failure should not fail postinst.
      • May help to make a distinction between devel and release upgrades.
      • No clear "philosophical" state of being configured, so it's is non-obvious how to decide what should be considered a failure.
      • Would be beneficial to present a straw-man proposal to the Debian TC to coordinate this.
      • Will continue at the next meeting.
    • Community Bugs
      • "TB term length is unclear"

        • elections single-year staggered with resulting positions having a two-year term.
        • [ACTION] sabdfl to update LP/wiki/www to reflect the actual term length for TB
      • "Technical Board mailing list archive is private"

        • blocked on IS, now that DMB is up and running.
        • [ACTION] cjwatson to nudge RT 35428
    • Out of time, deferred further review to next meeting
    • Next meeting: kees to chair
  • Technical Board meeting, 2009-12-15 (chair kees)
    • Prior action review
      • Excepting tasks covered under the UnitsPolicy and Kubuntu/UpdatesPolicy discussions below, prior actions were all done.

    • UnitsPolicy

      • Generally okay, but some minor clean-ups still needed. Could coordinate with Debian.
      • [ACTION] mdz to fix language wrt cmdline meaning in Unit policy
      • [ACTION] kees to present Units policy to Debian TC via bdale
    • Status of ARM port vs. archive publishing (slangasek, mdz)
      • ARM is considered supported for Karmic and later, even though it lives on ports.
      • [ACTION] cjwatson to document meanings of archive vs. ports, cdimage vs. releases, etc.
    • Archive reorganisation (ColinWatson)

    • Kubuntu/UpdatesPolicy
      • [ACTION] ScottK to update policy based on kubuntu upstream feedback
      • [ACTION] kees to follow up with ScottK on Kubuntu/UpdatesPolicy updates
    • Execute Permission Policy (KeesCook)

      • [ACTION] kees to clean up further and re-present at next meeting
    • Check up on community bugs (standing item)
      • "Mark Shuttleworth has no expiration date set in the tech-board LP team"

        • [ACTION] sabdfl to propose to CC that the TB is a CC delegate, and clarify his role
        • [ACTION] sabdfl to update bug with status and discussion
    • When is it a good idea to fail out of a maintainer script? (Matt Zimmerman)
      • Deferred, ran out of time.
    • Next meeting is Jan 12, 2010. Chair: cjwatson

Ubuntu Development Teams

Xubuntu Team

Mobile Team


  • Many of the team had vacation this month, some longer than others, but none-the-less progress was strong throughout.


  • The start of December saw build failures on all our ARM images. With the switch to supporting the THUMB2 instruction set we saw many build failures but with some great work from the team, bootable images for the Alpha-1 release were available for the first time; a great milestone.
  • Hardware failures at the build center slowed down progress initially but the backlog cleared relatively quickly leaving the team to continue on as normal.

Blueprint Work

  • December was the month of spec's. All the spec's that had been agreed on at UDS last month (and a new one that wasn't) were finalized and work towards completing them got well underway. Progress on the mobile team's blueprints can be seen at this page.

  • The mobile team adopted a community blueprint for this cycle, mobile-lucid-liquid. This spec will track the efforts to bring Ubuntu to more mobile devices.

  • A 2D clutter-less netbook-launcher was made public and is available here. After some work this was put into REVU and is currently under consideration. All dependencies for this package are in the process of being packaged for Main inclusion.

  • One spec's work items were pushed out to Alpha-3.

  • Progress in speeding up the live-cd boot-time was helped by the inclusion of Bootchart by default on ARM images. Major causes of slowness were identified and steps are underway to fix them were possible.


  • Progress is coming along nicely but its clear that the mobile team have their work cut out to deliver for Alpha-2 and beyond. This cycle has many ambitious spec's which, if delivered, will make the Ubuntu's ARM support stronger than ever.

Ubuntu LoCo Teams

Cameroonian Team

  • Karmic release party in various parts of Cameroon :

Catalan Team

  • Act "Omelette and free software" in Caldes de Montbuï.

  • Irc meeting. Reviewing for better release parties. Confirm we will do an install party in Cooperativa Germinal.
  • SergiMateo new LoCo member.

  • Reorganised Launchpad Catalan LoCo groups.

Chilean Team

  • Junta Ubuntera: a face to face meeting for take desitions, coordinate groups and drink some beers. (December 19th, Santiago)
  • call for new ubuntu-cl logo for include in our web site
  • we have new members in our website team and foro team
  • IRC council monthly meeting (December 30th)

Colombian Team

Danish Team

Ecuador Team

German Kubuntu Team

Greek Team

Honduras Team

Irish Team

  • Congrualtions to Rory McCann and Declan McGrath, both members of our LoCo, who are now official Ubuntu Members,

  • Face to face meet up on Thursday 3rd of December with ILUG in the Longstone.

  • Regular Monthly IRC Meeting was held at 8pm Irish time on Tuesday 16th December 2009.

  • Date picked for our Limerick event next year .

  • The LoCo created a Roadmap for our Goals over the Lucid cycle.

  • A Christmas face to face meet up on Tuesday 22nd of December in the Westin Hotel.

  • Our first Ubuntu Hour event has been planned for next month. Details post here.

Japanese Team

Korean Team

Nicaraguan Team

Norwegian team

Romanian Team

  • nothing yet

Russian Team


Kuban Team

  • We are distributing Ubuntu 9.10 and 8.04.3 LTS as well as repositories for Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS.
  • We had continued preparations for the project of typical automated information management system for business (SMB) based on Ubuntu LTS distributions.
  • There was regular meeting with reps of Kuban LoCo. Photos

South African Team

Tunisian Team

United States Teams

US Teams Project

California Team

  • IRC meeting on December 13th to discuss team organization, management structure, and processes. December 27th meeting canceled due to holidays.

  • Distribution of some of the pressed Ubuntu CDs we got from Canonical.

Chicago Team


New York State Team


  • 2009 12 17 7pm - 9pm DOX Electronics gave presentation on computer security Golisano Building RIT

North Carolina Team

Ubuntu North Carlina LoCo Team

  • Held the first Ubuntu Hour event in North Carolina

  • Hosted a LUG meeting at Firestorm Cafe in Asheville, NC. Internalkernel gave a presentation regarding Network Security.

  • Team meetings to discuss remaining steps to becoming an approved team

Ohio Team

Pennsylvania Team

Zimbabwe Team

Ubuntu Beginners Team

  • Ubuntu Beginners Team Meeting 2009-12-01

    • Discuss creation of a Roadmap.
      • duanedesign will create a wiki page that people can add suggestions to
    • Discuss Ubuntu User Days and possibly having the team get behind helping out with them
    • Vote against publicly logging #ubuntu-beginners
    • Nigel Babu ( joined the Ubuntu Beginners Team. He has helped out with the wiki and on the forums, and he is now helping out on IRC and answering questions on Launchpad.

Ubuntu NGO Team

Ubuntu Women Team

TeamReports/December2009 (last edited 2010-01-27 11:42:35 by 5ac884ec)