May 2009 Team Reports
If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.
- MOTU Council 'Call' 2009-05-06
- Attendees: Daniel Holbach, Michael Bienia, Jonathan Davies, Soren Hansen, Emmet Hikory
- Current Applicants: Li Daobing (UCD), James Westby (core-dev), Jo Shields (MOTU), hyperair (UCD)
- hyperair has not provided 1-week review period, will be encouraged to select a later meeting.
- Rescheduling of the MOTU Council weekly meeting
- After some great work on the Ibus input method packages (among other things), Li Daobing joined the Contributing Developers.
- The MOTU Council unanimously decided to recommend James Westby for Core Developer membership.
Jo Shields' work in Ubuntu's and Debian's Mono world paid off: Jo joined the MOTU team.
- MOTU Council 'Call' 2009-05-13
- Attendees: Michael Bienia, Jonathan Patrick Davies, Daniel Holbach, Richard Johnson.
- Current Applicants: Chow Loong Jin (hyperair): Contributing Developer, Charlie Smotherman (porthose): Per-package Uploader, Stefan Lesicnik (stefanlsd): MOTU.
- Ongoing discussion of new meeting times.
- MC Meeting:
- Chow Loong Jin (hyperair) joined the Contributing Developers Team.
- Charlie Smotherman (porthose) was recommended for Per-Package Uploader.
- Stefan Lesicnik (stefanlsd) joined the MOTU Team.
- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio (asomething) joined the MOTU Team.
Ubuntu Development Teams
- Patched qemu to emulate an ARMv7 CPU with 512 MB RAM and custom kernel
- Completed stress testing and completed lpia-wrapper for karmic
- Work on mass migration of bugs from UNR to Ubuntu
- Work on Ubuntu merges back into Debian
- Nebook accessibility issues examined and voice driven ui proposed
Ubuntu LoCo Teams
- May 16 2009: Install Party in Xixón / Asturies.
- May 14 2009: Talk in the Asturian Letters Day, hosted by Xunta pola Defensa de la Llingua Asturiana.
- May 10 2009: Talk for asturian language students.
May 15 2009: Meeting Chat Log
* Attendance to G-Sept (University of Douala) between 25th and 30th May 2009
- Jaunty Jackalope Release Party (May 2nd, Santiago)
Barbacue and beer. On Flickr.
- IRC Meeting (May 3rd, #ubuntu-cl)
- Council Jaunty Jackalope/Karmic Koala Election (May 4th-28th)
- May 4th-11th Candidates Postulation.
- May 18th-22nd Election (First Phase).
May 26th-28th Second Phase https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-cl-ubunteros/+poll/desempate
May 28th New Council elected!
IRC GrupoForo Meeting (May 14th, #ubuntu-cl)
New Forum Ubuntuforums.org Chilean Team (May 17th)
- IRC Meeting (May 26th, #ubuntu-cl)
- Marketing material and Junta Ubuntera Promotion.
Held our annual community meeting and elected LoCo-leadership for the next year.
- Started planning for Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala release party, with 3 suggestions for focus.
Community-minded - The LoCo gets together, socialises and make plans for the time to come.
- "Spread the word" - Focus on the Danish family and their OS needs. Trying to spread the word of Ubuntu to the standard Danish family.
- Corporate event - Focus on getting business and corporate attendees, to tell them how Ubuntu can strengthen their business.
Added web chat in our website, connecting to our irc channel.
- Configured a supybot for the #ubuntu-gr channel with localized factoids and some more functions.
- Our team members talked about our activity and Ubuntu community in ASCII Mediaworks' interview. This is described on a magazine "Sakusaku Ubuntu!" published on 27th May.
- Fumihito Yoshida wrote an article "HP MIE Review" for a Japanese local magazine "Software Design".
- Ikuya Awashiro wrote an article "Ubuntu 9.04 Tettei Kaibou" for a Japanese local magazine "ASCII.technologies".
Planning our team participation under the NOKIOS conference in Trondheim later this year (October 13th-15th). Ordered a conference pack
Ordered Jaunty CD-pack for our LoCo
May 19 2009 the release of the Ubuntu for Romania, a localized version based on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope. The installation CD is localised into Romanian and holds the majority of the default Ubuntu applications. The disk has specific network conectivity applications and legal restricted multimedia codecs to ease the transition of the new users to the Ubuntu operating system.
- There were several Jaunty release parties in cities around the country
Release party Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope in Cluj Napoca. After the usual presentation of the operating sistem, the audience and the organizers talked about:
- Organising the local Ubuntu comunity
- The help and support offered by the local Ubuntu comunity
- The statistics regarding the use of the Ubuntu operating system in Romania
- The means and the methods that should be used to increase the number of the events held by the local comunity
The usual group pictures can be found here
Release party Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope in Arad
Release party Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope in Targu Mures report: almost 25 people were present and this time we had some great discussions and beer talk. We also did some serious presentatations like what is new in jaunty jack : new gnome, new kde, new qt browser like arora or development IDE like qt creator, I also showed the new firefox 3.5 ( abrowser 3.5), quassel, gwibber (microblogging client), firebird 2.1.x and some extensive discussion about ext4 crash-ing and it's amazing speed
Emil Cheriches presented the cool stuff on the server side like: eucalyptus (aka EC2 at home), dovecot, ext4 and ufw/apparmour and mysql 5.1.
We had mentions in local press. The announcement in Hungarian language is here http://hup.hu/node/69899 And yes we are on front page on ubuntu.hu http://ubuntu.hu/hirek/2009apr/jaunty-jackalope-release-party-marosvasarhelyen
Other notes in blogosphere: There is a note on infoms website
Team tools has been organized at https://launchpad.net/:
- The formation of local area teams was initiated. Team reports are below.
Full Circle magazine #24 in Russian has been issued.
Translation of Ubuntu Desktop Course is at the alpha stage now. See details on the project page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Training/Russian.
- Ubuntu Desktop Tour for 9.04 has been translated. To be published on the site soon.
The new code for IRC support channel, #ubuntu-ru, has been introduced.
Hard work on the wiki server for the Russian documentation: http://help.ubuntu.ru/.
Jabber conference, firstname.lastname@example.org, has been recognized as the official channel of Russian-speaking support.
- Release Party for users from Moscow on the day Ubuntu 9.04 release has been organized. On the meeting the question was raised on organization of the user conferences. All attendees agreed that there is a need for more informative meetings aimed to all Ubuntu, Windows, and other Linux distributions users.
New ways of Ubuntu distribution in Moscow and Moscow region has been proposed.
Saint Petersburg Team
Ubuntu Install Fest dedicated to release of Jaunty has been organized. Information is also available at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RussianTeam/SPB/ReleaseParties/Jaunty.
An organizational meeting was held to form the structure of the St. Petersburg LoCo Team.
The structure of the Novosibirsk Ubuntu users group has been formed (https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-ru-loco-nsk/msg00014.html).
- Channels of communication has been organized:
- Goals and objectives of the group has been set at the organizational meeting.
Preparations for the Ubuntu InstallFest.
A project to create a remote interactive courses for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (discussion) has been started.
Kuban Team site: http://kub-ubuntu.beneficium.ru.
- Ubuntu 9.04 has been downloaded and distributed. We also continue to distribute and support LTS version, providing monthly repository updates for it.
The initial introduction and presentation of the Russian Ubuntu LoCo Team;
- The distribution of CD and DVD versions of Ubuntu Linux 9.04;
- Discussion of advantages and conveniences of Ubuntu over other distros;
Ubuntu 9.04 LiveDVD has been successfully tested on MacBook (Intel) - exciting experiment;
- Discussion of new technologies: netbooks and other portable computers and Linux platforms for them, 3D - desktop effects and games, delta updates (to appear in Fedora 11), and other topics.
Interaction with the Saratov Linux Center (http://linux-saratov.ru/):
- Searching for business and PR ideas to promote Ubuntu;
Rubuntu 9.04.0.1 distribution has been build.
Active participation in projects of Russian Ubuntu LoCo Team.
United States Teams
US Teams Project
- Jaunty Release Party
- Held at the Illinois Institute of Design on Saturday, April 25th
- Approximately 15 people in attendance
- Presentations on Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Ubuntu Server
- Discussions of what the team is doing and how to participate with the team
- Planning of our next Loco Activities
- The team is discussing packaging jams as a recurring activity for the next few months.
New York Team
Ubuntu Forums Beginners Team
- Mailing List
Reminder that all team members need to be part of ~ubuntuforums-beginners and subscribed to the mailing list or they will be devoiced in the IRC channel.
- Voting in Meetings
- IRC Policies
- Education Focus Grup
Preparing to present to the CommunityCouncil
- Vote on Focus Group Leaders
- It was decided to hold a separate meeting to discuss the Focus Group Leaders election
- New Members
- Mailing List
It was agreed that BodhiZazen will appoint the new Focus Group leaders instead of having an election
The IRC Focus Group is looking for new interested members to help integrate with the rest of the Ubuntu community
The 2009 Summer of Documentation has started
- Meeting agendas will be emailed to the Beginners Team mailing list the day before a meeting
TuxPurple joined the Ubuntu Forums Beginners Team. He is a penguin, he is purple, and we are glad to welcome him to the team.