June 2011 Team Reports



  1. June 2011 Team Reports
    1. Ubuntu Governance
      1. Americas Regional Membership Board
      2. Community Council
      3. Developer Membership Board
    2. PerPackageUploader Applications: Rosen Diankov
    3. Ubuntu Contributing Developer Applications: Ricardo Salveti
    4. Ubuntu Core Developer Applications: RoAkSoAx
    5. Next meeting
      1. EMEA Regional Membership Board
      2. Forum Council
      3. IRC Council
      4. LoCo Council
      5. Technical Board
    6. Ubuntu Development Teams
      1. Reviewers Team
      2. Xubuntu Team
      3. Xubuntu team report for June, 2011
        1. Bug Triage
        2. Packaging, Development, & Testing
        3. Website & Marketing
        4. Artwork
        5. Community
        6. Documentation
      4. Ubuntu Studio
  2. Release Development
  3. Website Update
  4. ubuntustudio-controls
  5. Backports
  6. Bug Reports
    1. Opened Bugs
    2. Updated Bugs
    3. Marked as Incomplete Bugs
    4. Closed Bugs
  7. Kernel Development
    1. Ubuntu LoCo Teams
      1. Argentina Team
      2. Asturian Team
      3. Australian Team
      4. Belgian Team
      5. Cameroonian Team
      6. Canadian Team
      7. Catalan Team
      8. China Team
      9. Chilean Team
      10. Ubuntu Colombia
      11. Czech Team
      12. Danish Team
      13. Log
      14. Statistics
      15. Pictures
      16. Ecuador Team
      17. French Team
      18. German Kubuntu Team
      19. Greek Team
      20. Honduras Team
      21. Hungarian Team
      22. Indian Team
      23. Ubuntu Ireland
      24. Ubuntu Israel
      25. Japanese Team
      26. Korean Team
      27. Nicaraguan Team
      28. Norwegian team
      29. Philippine Team
      30. Quebec Team
      31. Romanian Team
      32. Russian Team
      33. Serbian Team
      34. South African Ubuntu team
      35. Swedish Team
      36. Swiss Team
      37. Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team
      38. Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team
      39. United States Teams
        1. US Teams Project
        2. Ubuntu California
        3. Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team
        4. District of Columbia Team
        5. Florida LoCo Team
        6. Iowa Team
        7. New York State Team
        8. Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team
        9. Ohio Team
        10. Pennsylvania Team
        11. Virginia Team
        12. Washington Team
      40. Ubuntu Venezuela Team
      41. Zimbabwe Team
    2. Additional Ubuntu Teams
      1. Ubuntu Accessibility Team
      2. Ubuntu Beginners Team
      3. Ubuntu Classroom Team
      4. Ubuntu NGO Team
      5. Ubuntu Women

If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.

Ubuntu Governance

Americas Regional Membership Board

Community Council

Developer Membership Board

Developer Membership Board meeting 2011-06-06 13:00 UTC

Chair: Stéphane Graber Present: Michael Bienia, Iain Lane, Mackenzie Morgan

PerPackageUploader Applications: Rosen Diankov

The packages in question aren't in the archive yet. Rosen will be going through the sponsorship process to get them in the archive and then request PPU rights again.

Ubuntu Contributing Developer Applications: Ricardo Salveti


The result of the voting was 4 for, 0 against. 0 abstained. The application is approved.

Ubuntu Core Developer Applications: RoAkSoAx


The result of the voting was 4 for, 0 against. 0 abstained. The application is approved.

Next meeting

Next meeting will be on the 20th of June at 19:00 UTC. Mackenzie Morgan (maco) will be the chair.

EMEA Regional Membership Board

Forum Council

  • We are working on bringing the FC up to 7 members.
  • TV has announced he is retiring from the FC as of September 1st, 2011.
  • Continue to promote Ubuntu Forums Membership, both within the $current_staff and the community.

IRC Council

IRC Council Meeting June 11, 2011

Attendance: elky, jussi, topyli


  • Bug review: we only have #788503, which is pretty well in progress.

  • Last meeting's actions: all done.

TOPIC: Review #ubuntu-ops-team

  • Reviewing as agreed previously.
  • The channel works, serves the purpose well.
  • AGREED: Change review of #ubuntu-ops-team to quarterly.
  • ACTION: jussi to fix calendar.

TOPIC: Add eir to #ubuntu

  • Deferred to next meeting, due to both nhandler and tsimpson being absent.


  • One application, applicant absent. Deferred to next meeting.

Full log

IRC Council Meeting 2011-06-26

  • Meeting abandoned due to lack of quorum.

Other Items

LoCo Council

Technical Board

  • Meeting 2011-06-02
    • Chair: Matt Zimmerman
    • Present: Scott James Remnant, Kees Cook
    • Apologies: Colin Watson, Mark Shuttleworth
    • Meeting transcript and topical links: http://www.novarata.net/mootbot/ubuntu-meeting.20110602_1256.html

    • ffmpeg vs. libav
      • The ffmpeg project has forked upstream into ffmpeg and libav
      • Ubuntu is currently shipping libav only, because the ffmpeg package maintainer chose to package this version
      • The consensus of the Technical Board at the meeting was to regard these as separate software projects, which implies:
        • The choice of what to package is rightfully made by the maintainer. The Technical Board does not decide what software individual maintainers choose to package.
        • If another developer wished to package ffmpeg for Ubuntu, this would be welcome
        • If that were to happen, we would address any technical conflicts as they arose
    • Setting the Ubuntu series release manager in Launchpad to ubuntu-release
      • This was proposed in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-community/+bug/174375/comments/21

      • Bug 451390 is now fixed, so this can proceed

      • The TB members present at this meeting did not feel confident enough to make a decision about whether we should proceed immediately, and wanted more input from members familiar with archive administration
      • Deferred to the next meeting
    • Measuring installation success/failure
      • Evan Dandrea proposed that we collect data on successful vs. failed installation attempts from end users
      • The TB was asked for a policy ruling on whether this would be acceptable, or under what conditions
      • Various concerns have been raised, including:
        • Implementation considerations, such as whether useful data can be collected without leaking identifying information
        • Utility considerations, such as whether this data would in fact be useful for improving the installer
        • Privacy considerations, such as whether it is appropriate require explicit consent from the user before sharing this data
        • Transparency considerations, such as whether the raw data collected should be shared with the general public
      • The discussion in the meeting focused mainly on the privacy concerns
      • No clear consensus was reached, and clearly more discussion is necessary
      • To be continued by email and in the next TB meeting
    • Policy proposal for partner repository
      • Nicolas Barcet submitted a proposal for a technical policy to be applied to packages in the Canonical partner repository: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2011-May/000875.html

      • There was some discussion of whether this policy should be unified across the Canonical partner repositories and the -extras repositories
      • It was suggested that some reference should be made to the Ubuntu Policy Manual
      • To be continued by email (time pressure)
    • Launchpad stakeholder for Ubuntu project
      • Bryce Harrington confirmed his willingness act as a Launchpad stakeholder on behalf of Ubuntu
    • ubuntu-techboard celebrity in Launchpad
      • Francis Lacoste proposed a code change to Launchpad which would affect the permission model for Ubuntu branches, and asked for input from the technical board
      • No issues were raised other than those already raised by James Westby by email
  • Meeting 2011-06-30
    • Chair: Martin Pitt
    • Present: Mark Shuttleworth, Colin Watson, Kees Cook
    • Setting the Ubuntu series release manager in Launchpad to ubuntu-release
      • No further problems with this expected, Colin agreed to doing the switch
      • Things to check:
        • non-release-team core-devs can target tasks to oneiric * (already tested)

        • non-core-dev release team members can modify oneiric milestones
    • Measuring installation success/failure, updated proposal from Evan Dandrea

      • the purpose of collecting the data is to make Ubuntu better
      • while we won't make the data entirely public (avoiding unexpected privacy concerns, and competitive questions), people with technical/research projects who have a need for it can ask the TB for data (this includes Canonical employees)
      • for opt-out we need to write a privacy policy
      • people who are concerned about what data we're collecting can of course examine the client source code; we won't correlate IP addresses with this
      • we need to discuss data security (against theft) with IS
      • This proposal, under above conditions, got 4 out of 4 votes from the present TB members; for the record, Scott James Remnant mentioned that he'd prefer having all the data being public
    • SRU microrelease exception for Banshee

    • DMB voting procedure was discussed quickly, but we ran out of time. Will be discussed via email or carried to next meeting.

    • Policy proposal for partner repository: Ran out of time, carried to next meeting.

Ubuntu Development Teams

Reviewers Team

Xubuntu Team

Xubuntu team report for June, 2011

Bug Triage

  • Began smoke testing the images for Oneiric Ocelot.
  • Set up a tentative daily testing schedule.

Packaging, Development, & Testing

  • Many bugs have been fixed.
  • Released Oneiric Ocelot Alpha1.
  • LightDM replaced GDM as the login manager.

Website & Marketing

  • Approval has been received for the website to be converted to Wordpress.
  • Website team is currently working on a test site of Wordpress for http://xubuntu.org .

  • Re-wrote several pages for the Xubuntu website.
  • Xubuntu needs a Marketing Lead. Contact us per http://xubuntu.org/devel or email charlie-tca@ubuntu.com, if interested.

    • Marketing Lead will produce of news releases, blog articles, advertising Xubuntu, tracking reviews of Xubuntu.


  • Greybird gtk-theme improvements
    • Initial gtk3 support was added to Xubuntu's default theme "Greybird", has to be tweaked/improved during the cycle
    • Color tweaks in Greybird (darker panel)
    • Smaller/less obtrusive resize-grip
    • Gnumeric headers bug fixed in Greybird
  • A compact xfwm4 theme for Greybird was created to save vertical pixels (almost finished)
  • We still need a good plymouth theme.
  • Xubuntu needs an Artwork Lead. Contact us per http://xubuntu.org/devel or email charlie-tca@ubuntu.com, if interested.

    • Artwork Lead will work with the current artists for Xubuntu, producing themes, plymouth theme, website graphics, and other art as needed.


  • We are striving to get more users to blog about Xubuntu. We would like to get word out of the changes being made, as well as new releases.
  • The Xubuntu Community holds a regular meetings on Mondays at 19:00 UTC and Sundays at 22:00 UTC in #xubuntu-devel. Please see the schedule and agenda at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings.

  • The community meeting was held on 2011-06-13.


Ubuntu Studio

Release Development

See the Oneiric release planning wiki page for details.

  • TODO

Website Update

See the Website Update wiki page for details.

  • Brian David emailed the dev mailing list with the example website files for testing
    • Testers will need a local instance of Drupal
    • Testers will most likely also need a local instance of MySQL
    • Testing will need to follow the included README.txt file
  • ScottLavender agreed to prepare 2nd draft of site map focusing on primary features


See the -controls development wiki page for details.

  • ailo and paultag have been hacking up code for the update
  • ScottLavender is getting anxious to get it built, testing, and pushed to the repos :/


See the Ubuntu Studio Backports wiki page for details.

Bug Reports

Opened Bugs

  • Several backport requests were filed. See BACKPORTS section above for details.
  • TODO

Updated Bugs

  • TODO

Marked as Incomplete Bugs

  • TODO

Closed Bugs

  • TODO

Kernel Development

  • ScottLavender began building -lowlatency kernel with aboganni's assistance in hopes of getting it in Natty

  • It is realised the window for getting the -lowlatency kernel in Natty is very slim

Ubuntu LoCo Teams

Argentina Team

Asturian Team

Australian Team

Belgian Team

Cameroonian Team

Canadian Team

Catalan Team

  • June 1st: LoCo IRC meeting about intall parties.

  • June 4th: Install Party at Sant Just Desvern, near Barcelona.
  • June 16th: Ubuntu 11.04 presentation along with Ubuntu computers in collaboration with Tuxbrain in Caldes de Montbuï.

  • June 16th: LoCo IRC meeting.

China Team

Chilean Team

Ubuntu Colombia

Czech Team

Danish Team

B## page was copied from ubuntu-dk/Templates/TeamReportTemplate






Link or description


October 3rd


Ubuntu Favrskov



Display pictures

Ecuador Team

French Team

  • June 4th - Premier Samedi du Libre in Paris
    This is a multi-distribution small install fest where around 60 people come to get help configuring and installing their Linux system. This edition was also the "Recontre Fedora", we helped them with the install part.

  • June 9th - Ubuntu Hour in Paris
  • June 10th to 12th - [http://www.papillonsdenuit.com/ Papillon de nuit] - A music festival were we hold a web café for the first time. 6 computers with Ubuntu to let people browse the web and discover Ubuntu.

  • June 16th - Ubuntu Party in Paris - Debriefing
  • June 27th - Webdesign team meeting - starting to explore new designs for the future.
  • June 28th - Ubuntu-fr team meeting

German Kubuntu Team

Greek Team

  • IRC meeting of our LoCo

Honduras Team

Hungarian Team

Indian Team

Ubuntu Ireland

  • Our first Geeknic of the year took place during the lunch hour of 3DCamp barcamp 2011 at the University of Limerick on the 11th of June, 2011. Some pictures here.

  • Regular Monthly IRC Meeting was held at 8pm Irish time on Wednesday the 15th of June, 2011.

  • Great News! Our bid for re-approval at the LoCo Council meeting of 21st of June, 2011 was successful. Well done to all who helped prepare for this.

  • A Meet and Greet With Canonical. We held a meet up for all the Canonical stuff who were in Dublin for a sprint in the The Porterhouse on Wednesday the 29th of June. Event details here , Some photos here

  • Our monthly Ubuntu Hour Limerick took place in the Absolute Hotel, with new attendees

Ubuntu Israel

Japanese Team

Korean Team

Nicaraguan Team

Norwegian team

Philippine Team

Quebec Team

Romanian Team

Russian Team

Serbian Team

South African Ubuntu team

Swedish Team

  • LoCo meeting held on the 22nd

    • Regular meeting.

Swiss Team

Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team

Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team

United States Teams

US Teams Project

Ubuntu California

Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team

District of Columbia Team

Florida LoCo Team

Please update with team activity from 11/June here.

Iowa Team

New York State Team

Describe NewYorkTeam/TeamReports/11/June here.

Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team

Ohio Team

Pennsylvania Team

Virginia Team

Washington Team

Ubuntu Venezuela Team

Zimbabwe Team

Additional Ubuntu Teams

Ubuntu Accessibility Team

Ubuntu Beginners Team

  • There was two Council Meeting on 21 June and 23 June on the June month.

  • 21 June Council Meeting - 3 members in attendance, 53 minutes long, with cprofitt holding the chair.

    • The new mission statement will be worked on and adopted by Tuesday June 28th.

Ubuntu Classroom Team

Ubuntu NGO Team

Ubuntu Women

TeamReports/June2011 (last edited 2011-07-09 22:31:36 by lyz)