November 2011 Team Reports


If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.

Ubuntu Governance

Americas Regional Membership Board

Asia Oceania Regional Membership Board

The approval results from the 08th November Asia Oceania Membership meeting are as follows:

  • Aron Xu (happyaron) was informed they were able to renew their own membership and therefore wasn't required to participate in the meeting.

  • Ashickur Rahman (ashickur-noor | ashickur-noor) had applied in the previous month and had contributed in the mean time. He has again been asked to come back in a while and given some timeframes this time. Further discussions were had in to how he could possible join in on some other projects like UBT, translation and LoCos to assist with this development. Support was offered to achieve these goals in the near future.

  • Min Sik CHO (MinSik CHO | mscho527) was advised what the requirements of membership were. While being a relatively newcomer to Ubuntu has shown a lot of promise. Min has been given some advice and assistance in how to continue his contributions into the future.

  • Ko Ko Ye' (kokoye2007 | kokoye2007) was not present for the meeting.

  • Bone Pyae Sone (bonepyaesone | bonepyaesone) was also not present for the meeting.

Community Council

Developer Membership Board

Meeting summary

Meeting ended at 20:50:24 UTC.


  • Should Stephen M. Webb get upload rights for the uTouch package set?
    • For: 4 Against: 0 Abstained: 1
  • Should Serge Hallyn get upload rights for the Ubuntu Server package set?
    • For: 5 Against: 0 Abstained: 0
  • Should Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski get upload rights for the kernel package set?
    • For: 4 Against: 0 Abstained: 1

Action items

  • jbicha to create a list of packages from the .modules files

Action items, by person

  • jbicha
  • * jbicha to create a list of packages from the .modules files

People present (lines said)

  • bdrung (83)
  • micahg (55)
  • meetingology (34)
  • bregma (27)
  • tumbleweed (26)
  • stgraber (17)
  • hallyn (14)
  • cnd (12)
  • jbicha (10)
  • herton (10)
  • geser (5)
  • sconklin (5)
  • ogasawara (3)
  • Laney (2)
  • apw (2)
  • ajmitch (2)
  • ubottu (1)
  • tgardner (1)

EMEA Regional Membership Board

Forum Council

Ubuntu We have added 3 new council members (, Iowan & Artificial Intelligence) to bring the council back up to 7

Ubuntu 12 new moderators have also been added.

Ubuntu A new anti-spam measure has been implemented.

Ubuntu Technoviking has been working on the forum upgrade but has hit more problems with the openid plugin. We are currently waiting on Canonicals input on how to proceed.

Ubuntu The forum council have re-established monthly meetings.

Ubuntu We have continued to promote Ubuntu Forums Membership, both within the forum staff and the community.

IRC Council

Meeting summary

IRC Council meeting 2011-11-27 - No quorum

  • Review Bugs
    • New bugs:
      • Launchpad bug 884671 in ubuntu-community "Ubuntu IRC operator recruitment is slow and ungainly" [Undecided,New]

        • Policy change and needs a vote.
        • topyli to email IRCC list for votes on this.
      • Launchpad bug 887544 in ubuntu-community "No measurable data on ban resolving process in #ubuntu-ops" [Undecided,New]

        • Long-standing item.
        • Carried forward
      • Launchpad bug 892501 in ubuntu-community "Floodbots - need a re-write to be under ubuntu operator team control" [Undecided,New]

        • Having such powers invested in proprietary bots controlled by a single person is not ideal.
        • Ljl and full council need to be present to proceed.
      • Launchpad bug 892500 in ubuntu-community "eir is still not fit for purpose in #ubuntu" [Undecided,New]

        • Some mixed views, tweak it until it works better.
    • Existing bugs:
  • Review Last Meeting Action Items
    • #lubuntu ops stuff
      • topyli to draft ops call, jussi to review.
    • IRC guidelines review
      • In progress, needs help.
  • Any Other Business
    • Change eir default behavior
      • Carried forward.
    • Clarification of IRCC appointment process
      • Jussi to clarify and send mail

LoCo Council

Technical Board

  • Meeting: 2011-11-03
    • Chair: Colin Watson
    • Attendees: Kees Cook, Martin Pitt, Matt Zimmerman, Soren Hansen, Stéphane Graber
  • Action review
    • Colin to setup a survey for a new Technical Board meeting time -- DONE, should have responses soon

    • Stéphane to contact Stefano Rivera and if he agrees to be on the DMB, add him to the LP team and mailing list -- DONE

    • Stéphane to update the term of the DMB members to 2 years -- DONE

    • Stéphane to add the new members to the ARB -- DONE though still waiting for mailing list admin privileges

  • LTS cadence

    • By e-mail, Soren proposed codifying the long-term-support cycle length to two years, which has been the practical reality for some time anyway. Mark supported this, with the proviso that we allow ourselves to make a one-time shift of six months either way in the event that Debian moved to a two-year cycle slightly out of phase with us.
    • We discussed various aspects of this in the meeting, but the board was aware that by this point people within the Ubuntu project were essentially operating on the assumption that the two-year cycle was fixed anyway, and the effect of making this official would mainly be to make us more predictable from other points of view. By now, this is simply what our users expect from us.
    • The TB voted unanimously in favour of ratifying the e-mailed proposals.
  • Streamlining package set management

    • The Developer Membership Board (via Iain Lane) requested some minor changes to the package set management process to allow them to make small adjustments without the need for developers to present themselves at a DMB meeting, as long as those changes are advertised on devel-permissions@ with a waiting period.
    • The TB felt that a waiting period was not necessary for such changes, given e-mail announcements to devel-permissions@. Aside from that, we approved Iain's proposal unanimously.
  • Proposal for criteria to become and remain a recognized derivative flavor, and proposal for criteria to designate flavor release as LTS

    • Kate Stewart proposed some criteria for derivatives of Ubuntu to be recognised as flavours that we build as part of the coordinated Ubuntu release processes, and criteria for them to be designated as LTS releases. (The former was largely codifying existing practice; the latter was new.)
    • We suggested some tweaks, but on the whole, this was close enough to what we understood as existing practice that we approved it unanimously. The TB retains full discretion on designating a flavour as LTS (and some flavours are interested).
  • Opening backports pre-release
  • Next meeting is 2011-11-17.
  • Meeting: 2011-11-17...
  • Meeting: 2011-11-28
    • Chair: Kees Cook
    • Attendees: Kees Cook, Martin Pitt, Colin Watson, Soren Hansen, Stéphane Graber
    • Apologies: Matt Zimmerman
  • Action review: everything from last meeting completed.
  • Opening backports pocket pre-release
  • Edubuntu LTS Application
    • ACTION: highvoltage: produce list of source packages that will get security support.

    • ACTION: stgraber: invite Kubuntu folks to TB for LTS discussion.

  • Recurring: Brain storm review (Next due: December 2011)
    • ACTION: pitti: document brainstorm review activity

    • ACTION: kees: perform brainstorm review

  • Scan the mailing list archive for anything we missed (standing item)
    • nothing missed.
  • Check up on community bugs (standing item)
    • nothing needed action.
  • Select a chair for the next meeting
    • pitti volunteered

Ubuntu Development Teams

Reviewers Team

Xubuntu Team

Xubuntu Community Meeting 2011-11-07

  • Packaging, Development
    • xfce4-indicator-plugin fixed in oneiric-updates for some open issues
    • micahg did some syncs from debian testing
  • Bug Triage, Testing
    • All testing will now be coordinated through the QA ISO tracker, including daily testing
    • New process for images... if you break it, you fix it, and you get 3 hours
    • We will start our daily testing between 24 and 28 November
  • Website, Documentation
  • Marketing, Artwork (knome, 22:37:53)
    • madnick works on Plymouth and lightdm to create a nice booting experience; we follow the artistic specification created for Oneiric
    • ochosi has created a dark style for xfce4-datetime-plugin; a patched version is available for testing in the shimmer PPA (thanks to mr_pouit). You'll need Greybird from git though.

Xubuntu Community Meeting 2011-11-13

  • Packaging, Development
    • Merged new upstream release of xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin from debian testing
    • Uploaded to oneiric a SRU for exo to fix mailto: helpers
    • Uploaded to precise a fix for a crash in xfce4-power-manager, the SRU to oneiric will follow this week
  • Website, Documentation
    • Website sprint to follow next week
  • Marketing, Artwork
    • Mostly planning... And trying to get GTK3 stuff to work

Xubuntu Community Meeting 2011-11-21

  • Packaging, Development
    • mr_pouit updated a few packages (micahg, 21:34:01)
    • ristretto 0.3.0 is now in precise (micahg, 21:34:11)
    • gmusicbrowser 1.1.8 should be coming after alpha 1 (micahg, 21:34:45)
    • edii and knome worked with menu management UI, the specification is complete, but to be written
  • Website, Documentation
    • The website sprint went well.
    • ACTION: pleia2 to send email about next website sprint time

  • Marketing, Artwok
    • lightdm greeter is in progress
    • Settings UI for lightdm is finalized
    • Bluebird GTK3 is in slowly progressing

Ubuntu Studio

Ubuntu LoCo Teams

Argentina Team

Asturian Team

Australian Team

Belgian Team

* November 9th : Install Party 11.10 in Louvain-La-Neuve

* November 17th: IRC meeting


Cameroonian Team

Canadian Team

Catalan Team

China Team

Chilean Team

Ubuntu Colombia

Czech Team

  • non official meeting in Pardubice - more information on our Czech forum here

Danish Team

Dutch Team

  • Creation of the Foundation Stichting Ondersteuning Ubuntu­-NL freely translated to Foundation to support Ubuntu-NL

  • Setup of a community server aside of the ubuntu-nl server for development and tests, so the main server keeps stable

  • We got a stand on T-Dose, an open source event held in Eindhoven

  • We had a IRL Teammeeting to socialize and discuss team wide topics

Ecuador Team

French Team

German Kubuntu Team

Greek Team

  • 11.10 Release Party (Sunday, 6/11) Photos

  • Translation event in Athens. Introduction to Ubuntu translations, coordination for improvement of Greek translation for 12.04

  • 1st Translation IRC meeting for Ubuntu 12.04.

Honduras Team

Hungarian Team

Indian Team

Ubuntu Ireland

Ubuntu Israel

Japanese Team

Korean Team

Nicaraguan Team

Norwegian team

Philippine Team

Quebec Team

Romanian Team

Russian Team

Serbian Team

South African Ubuntu team

Swedish Team

  • Project "Svenska videoguider"(Swedish Screencasts) had its first projectmeeting on the 7th.
  • LoCo meeting held on the 9th

    • Regular monthly LoCo member meeting.

  • LoCo management team meeting held on the 17th

    • First management team meeting. The Swedish LoCo is trying out a new organization with a management team or council is perhaps a better word for it. It consists of the Team Contact and Team Leader aswell as representatives from different groups/projects such the IRC operators, the support group aswell as our translation team.

Swiss Team

Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team

  • Organisation of the ubuntu and Free Software Day at the "National Engineering School of Gabes"

Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team

Various team members attended the Ubuntu Developer Summit Podcasts released . . .

United States Teams

US Teams Project

Ubuntu California

Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team

District of Columbia Team

Florida LoCo Team

Please update with team activity from 11/November here.

Iowa Team

New York State Team

No Report This Month

Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team

Ohio Team

Oregon Team

Pennsylvania Team

Virginia Team

Washington Team

Wisconsin Team

* Event: This month's Milwaukee Ubuntu Hour was November 4. This event is on first Friday of each month. The next Milwaukee Ubuntu Hour will be December 2. There was one attendee. If attendance is low in December, the event will be suspended pending a revamp.

* LoCo Application Update Meeting: Postponed due to scheduling conflicts and extra-busy schedules by some key participants. The application has been tabled for a few months.

* Event: This month's Madison Ubuntu Hour was November 19. This event is on the third Saturday of each month, and is hosted by Madison LUG. The next Madison Ubuntu Hour will be December 21.

* Monthly Meeting: Due to scheduling conflicts, there was no meeting this month. The busy schedule of some members is expected to continue through much of the winter. Other members are encouraged to take up the slack!

Ubuntu Venezuela Team

Zimbabwe Team

Additional Ubuntu Teams

Ubuntu Accessibility Team

Ubuntu Beginners Team

Ubuntu Classroom Team

Ubuntu NGO Team

Ubuntu Women Team

TeamReports/November2011 (last edited 2011-12-10 23:20:16 by lyz)