December 2011 Team Reports
If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.
Americas Regional Membership Board
- Results from the December 15th Americas Membership Board meeting
- No candidates available for meeting
Asia Oceania Regional Membership Board
The results from the 13th December Asia Oceania Membership meeting are as follows:
Quorum was not met by the Board Members so no meeting was logged. Neither of the 2 listed applicants were present either.
- Meeting 01 December 2011 - 1700 UTC
- Edubuntu Council/Edubuntu Review - Alkis Georgopoulos and Jonathan Carter
- Discussed review of Planet Ubuntu Blogs to make sure all blogs are from or sponsored by current members
- Agreed to ack dpm's request to add Translators Portal and App Dev Portal to Planet Ubuntu
- Decided Person who chairs will update wiki logs, wiki times, and Team Reports Pages
- Laura Czajkowski to Chair the 15 December, 2011, 1700 UTC meeting.
- Meeting 15 December 2011 - 1700 UTC
- czajkowski to mail the forums council and ask them to come again to the meeting
- Review list of inactive mailing lists
YokoZar to post to the list link to etherpad on work done so far so CC can review further
- Once inactive lists are identified, the team owner and list admins will be notified, RT ticket submitted
- akgraner to blog process for UWN and Fridge
AlanBell reviewing planet config to sync up nicknames with proper launchpad names to define feeds from individuals who are no longer members
- Will sort alphabetically and move to the bottom a set of feeds that are candidates for deletion
- Review again in the new year
- akgraner to chair january meeting
Developer Membership Board
Meeting started by Laney at 14:12:42 UTC. The full logs are available at http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2011/ubuntu-meeting.2011-12-19-14.12.log.html .
- Review of previous action items
- micahg to ping all packageset teams to get a description we can use for future changes (Laney, 14:13:19)
- done, to review at next meeting
- micahg to ping all packageset teams to get a description we can use for future changes (Laney, 14:13:19)
- Package set application: desktop-extra
LINK: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/devel-permissions/2011-December/000315.html (Laney, 14:18:06)
- Approved, see votes below.
ACTION: stgraber to create desktop-extra set (Laney, 14:27:09)
- Ubuntu Core Developer reapplication for Daniel T Chen
- No vote deemed necessary. Daniel was duly reactivated. Members wondered why they had not received email about the expiration — Laney to raise with Launchpad.
- tumbleweed raised the medium-term elections that the DMB needs to hold, agreed to discuss at the next meeting.
- bdrung raised the fact that we have many different term expirations, some quite close to others. It would be nice to adjust as appropriate so that restaffing is easier.
ACTION: bdrung to talk to the TB about harmonising DMB members' expiration dates for easier restaffing (Laney, 14:47:58)
- chair for next meeting
- still cody-somerville, with micahg as fallback.
Meeting ended at 14:48:51 UTC
Create desktop-extra packageset with description "Every package that is NOT in ubuntu-desktop, desktop-core or core, but needed for a vanilla GNOME. Vanilla GNOME is defined by upstream in gnome-suites-core, gnome-suites-core-deps, and gnome-apps: http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/tree/modulesets" and initial packages "abiword accerciser alacarte anjuta caribou cheese clutter ekiga epiphany-browser fonts-cantarell f-spot gdm ghex gjs gnome-backgrounds gnome-color-manager gnome-contacts gnome-devel-docs gnome-documents gnome-icon-theme-extras gnome-packagekit gnome-scan gnome-shell gnome-sushi gnome-tweak-tool gnome-video-effects gnote gnumeric goffice gthumb gtksourceviewmm gupnp-av gupnp-dlna gupnp-vala java-gnome libchamplain monkey-bubble mutter mx nemiver opal packagekit ptlib rygel seed sound-juicer tomboy tracker" and initial member ~ubuntu-desktop
- For: 5 Against: 0 Abstained: 0
- stgraber to create desktop-extra set
- bdrung to talk to the TB about harmonising DMB members' expiration dates for easier restaffing
Action items, by person
- * bdrung to talk to the TB about harmonising DMB members' expiration dates for easier restaffing
- * stgraber to create desktop-extra set
People present (lines said)
- Laney (70)
- tumbleweed (22)
- micahg (21)
- bdrung (19)
- meetingology (15)
- stgraber (10)
EMEA Regional Membership Board
Meeting minutes, 2011-12-10
Present: jussi, topyli (chair), czajkowski (stepping in for membership applications as an RMB member)
- Membership applications
- Matt Wheeler (funkyHat) - accepted
- ACTION: topyli to mail council about operator application process for discussion
- ACTION: topyli to advertise guidelines draft again
- Review last meeting's action items
- Lubuntu ops call deferred to new council
- eir's default behavior
- ACTION: topyli to ask if eir could be tweaked to ignore floodbots
- Next meeting
- Scheduled for 25th. Will cancel or reschedule, and inform team.
- Meeting: 2011-12-12
- Chair: Martin Pitt
- Attendees: Kees Cook, Stephane Graber, Matt Zimmerman, Colin Watson, Soren Hansen
- Guests: Tim Gardner, Steve Langasek, Jonathan Carter
- Action review:
pitti: document brainstorm review activity: DONE: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TechnicalBoard/BrainstormReview
- kees: perform brainstorm review → carried
- Edubuntu LTS application
- Still blocked on Kubuntu LTS application
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu/12.04/LTS-Proposal has the list of affected applications, will still be tuned a bit to drop Java dependencies
- Non-PAE kernel disposition
- Kernel team would like to drop non-PAE kernel soon
- TB members generally feel that (1) dropping the current default kernel is too much of a step, and (2) there is still a significant number of users which have non-PAE systems, based on Launchpad bug report data and an ubuntu-devel@ strawpoll
- Maintaining the extra flavour is not much extra work, and not comparable to e. g. the -ti-omap4 kernel which is an entirely separate source tree
- We need a way to prevent upgrades for non-PAE systems. Some options were mentioned:
- Add update-manager check to not offer the upgrade if PAE is not available
Add libc6/linux preinst to abort the upgrade early if PAE is not available; that's not the best failure mode, but will prevent a safety net for users of apt-get dist-upgrade
- Switch precise over to PAE kernel by default on i386; we retain the option to revert if it causes too much fallout (Colin)
- Drop non-PAE flavour in 12.10; this will give non-PAE systems another 5 years of life time, which is considered enough
- Further discuss upgrade strategy/checks
- Micro release Exception for Nova, Swift, Glance, and Keystone
- deferred to discussion by email, as we ran out of time
- Next meeting:
- Skipping the December 26 meeting due to Christmas holidays
- Next on 2012-01-09
- Chair: Matt Zimmerman
Ubuntu Development Teams
Xubuntu Community Meeting 2011-12-08
- Packaging, Development (knome, 18:11:04)
- not too much going on, just some font package name changes and armhf coming online (micahg, 18:12:08)
- Website, Documentation (knome, 18:13:38)
we had website sprint on Saturday, results here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2011-December/008071.html (pleia2, 18:14:15)
we need feedback on useful stuff for http://wp.xubuntu.org/developertools/ (knome, 18:15:04)
- we probably need a third (and hopefully final) website sprint, more information will be on the mailing lists later (knome, 18:16:39)
- Marketing, Artwork (knome, 18:16:54)
We now have a twitter account at @XubuntuLinux (pleia2, 18:17:37)
and stickers! I've detailed how others can make them too here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Marketing#Current_projects (pleia2, 18:17:52)
Xubuntu Community Meeting 2011-12-29
- Packaging, Development (knome, 17:17:01)
- mr_pouit has been uploading newer versions of xfce components in Debian (micahg, 17:19:33)
- we should get them synced over next week (micahg, 17:19:56)
- amd64 live ISO is oversized. if it's a problem, ping micahg (knome, 17:22:25)
- Can be fixed by dropping a language for example (knome, 17:22:49)
- PAE kernel is the default in precise now (micahg, 17:23:41)
to change to PAE on vbox read here: http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#settings-processor (GridCube, 17:26:30)
ACTION: ochosi to investigate some cherry-picking from xfce upstream to ubuntu (knome, 17:27:20)
- Bug Triage, Testing (knome, 17:29:35)
not much testings lately, we should get into more tests soon, we are getting behind (GridCube, 17:30:39)
ACTION: charlie-tca to write a blog post about testing after holiday season (knome, 17:32:24)
ACTION: GridCube to gather a list of problems with QA tracker and get back to knome/QA tracker responsibles (knome, 17:36:30)
- Marketing, Artwork (knome, 17:09:30)
- Greybird's gtk3 is stable and practically ready for release (ochosi, 17:09:57)
- Feedback and testing is much appreciated (ochosi, 17:10:11)
- Porting of Bluebird is proceeding, but rather slowly (ochosi, 17:10:32)
For testing use the download-function of our github-repository (https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greybird/downloads) and extract the tarball to ~/.themes then change the gtk-theme to "Greybird" (ochosi, 17:12:20)
- Website is nearly ready, theme is going to get a few improvements and the content still needs more reviewing - ask pleia2 for more information (knome, 17:13:01)
ACTION: micahg or mr_pouit to confirm xfce package versions in precise as soon as possible (knome, 17:14:27)
ACTION: pleia2 to update the marketing wikipage with new sticker design (knome, 17:16:03)
ACTION: micahg to look at the thunderbird button issue (knome, 17:16:30)
Ubuntu LoCo Teams
December Team Meeting - This meeting was held on the 11th December 2011 and attended by 7 team members.
- There wasn't much on the agenda, so we discussed the upcoming Installfest happening in Brisbane on the 7th January.
- fabricator4 and head_victim had created/adapted posters to promote the event.
The drupal update was rolled out on the http://ubuntu.org.au website.
non official meeting in Prague - more information on our Czech forum here
- preparations for official meeting in January '12 (only for regular members)
German Kubuntu Team
South African Ubuntu team
Stuff We've Done
19 December: monthly meeting
- Project "Svenska videoguider"(Swedish Screencasts) meeting held on the 4th.
Regular monthly LoCo member meeting.
Extra LoCo member meeting concerning the IRC channel #ubuntu-se-offtopic and its future.
- Project "Svenska videoguider"(Swedish Screencasts) meeting held on the 18th.
- Regular monthly management team meeting.
Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team
- Organisation of Ubuntu Day at "The Tunisia Private University"
- Participation to "the Free Software Day" at "Higher Institute of Technological Studies of Kairouan"
Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team
Our Christmas Meal was at Dans Le Noir in London, eating in full darkness
The Ubuntu UK Podcast Christmas Panto
United States Teams
US Teams Project
Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team
District of Columbia Team
Florida LoCo Team
Please update with team activity from 11/December here.
New York State Team
No Report This Month
Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team
- Team Meetings
- No December Meeting Per November Meeting Consensus
- Ubuntu Jam / Debian BSP Event
- Blog Posts
* Event: This month's Milwaukee Ubuntu Hour was December 2. There was one attendee. Milwaukee Ubuntu Hours have been event suspended pending a revamp - different time/place, better publicizing.
* Monthly Meeting: Due to scheduling conflicts, there was no meeting this month. The busy schedule of some members is expected to continue through much of the winter. Other members are encouraged to take up the slack!
Ubuntu Venezuela Team
Additional Ubuntu Teams
Ubuntu Accessibility Team
Ubuntu Beginners Team
Second meeting after the initiation of restructuring
duanedesign Nominated as the POC for Beginners Team MOTU Focus Group.
People are invited to 1) plan and take Classroom Sessions and 2) Update and maintain Wiki pages
The Ultimate Goal of Ubuntu Beginners Team is made clear to Support the Beginners in solving issues.
No formal membership process in any focus groups unless and untill needed in the future.
Ubuntu Classroom Team
Ubuntu NGO Team