May 2010 Team Reports


If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.

Ubuntu Governance

Community Council

Developer Membership Board

Developer Membership Board Meeting, 2010-05-11

Chair: Richard Johnson
Present: Cody Sommerville, Soren Hansen, Richard Johnson, Michael Bienia, Colin Watson, Emmet Hikory
Apologies: Stéphane Graber

Action Review
  • Completed:
    • persia to update UbuntuDevelopers/TeamDelegation to reflect DMB's responsibilities in process.

    • cjwatson to schedule session at UDS for DMB meeting
    • persia to follow up with ?TheMuso re: abogani's application.

    • strgraber, soren: Vote on Rogrigo's application for PPU permissions for libubuntuone, rhythmbox-ubuntuone-music-store, ubuntuone-client, and tomboy
  • Carried Over to next meeting:
    • cjwatson to create ubuntu-kernel-uploaders team owned by the DMB that will provide upload permissions to Ubuntu kernel packages.

Administrative Matters
  • Consider changing order of application process
    • Cody to send email to the list to review


Sylvestre Ledru PPU Application

Luke Faraone MOTU Application

  • Luke is a Debian Maintainer and has enjoyed handling sponsorship as well as syncing RC bugs from Debian. One abstained from voting, while 4 others voted in favor. Welcome!

Christian Mangold MOTU Application

Scott Moser PPU Application

Rodney Dawes PPU Application

Chad Miller PPU Application

  • Chad has been bothering Ken with regards to desktopcouch. Unfortunately Chad didn't have anyone leave a comment or testimony on his application, and because of that 2 voted in favor, 1 not in favor, and 2 abstained, therefor denying his application at this time. It was recommended for him to get those testimonies and come back as soon as possible.

Jamie Bennett Contributing Developer Application

Select a Chair for the next meeting
  • Emmet Hikory will chair the 25th May meeting

Forum Council

IRC Council

  • Ubuntu IRC Council meeting, May 8th 2010

    • No items on agenda, no formal meeting
    • Discussed meeting frequency, decided to move discussion to IRC Team mailing list
    • Action: topyli to send mail
  • Ubuntu IRC Council Meeting 2010-05-30

    • Attendance: nhandler, jussi, tsimpson, topyli, czajkowski, itnet7
    • Discussed with members of the LoCo Council requring the Logging bot in all LoCo IRC channels.

      • The LoCo Council brought up this topic as a possible way to resolve problems with the Code of Conduct not being followed in LoCo channels.

      • czajkowski and itnet7 agreed to send out an initial email to the loco-contacts mailing list to get some feedback from the LoCos.

      • tsimpson suggested creating a Launchpad poll once some initial discussion has taken place on the mailing list in order to get a better feel for how many people are for/against this change.
      • nhandler and itnet7 will work on preparing a pros/cons wiki page to help the councils reach a decision at a later meeting.
      • This issue will be discussed again once feedback from the LoCos is received.

    • Reviewed the Guadalinex issue:

      • The Guadalinex Edu task is Fix Released, but the Guadalinex task is still open.
      • tsimpson volunteered to comment on the bug to get a status update about what needs to be done for the Guadalinex task.
    • Discussed the idea of an #ubuntu-lts channel
      • topyli agreed to send an email about the -lts channel to the mailing list to summarize the IRC Council's views on the issue.
      • The IRC Council will discuss this issue again at a future meeting after more discussion has taken place on the mailing list.
    • Logs for this meeting are available at:

LoCo Council

Ubuntu-UY was up for first. Their website has been re-branded with the the new Ubuntu branding, and they have been very active. Their Approval Application was dynamite and easily reflected their recent events as well as their hopes for the near future. Congratulations to the Uruguay Team! We really appreciate your hard work and look forward to what your team will achieve for Ubuntu.

Ubuntu-MX has done some extremely great things for the community. Their Podcast is doing really well, and they are beginning to recover from some huge hurdles (quarantined areas to help contain N1H1 for example). The LoCo Council felt unanimously that Ubuntu-MX should take a little time to get themselves back on track, asking them re-apply in September. LoCo Council members volunteered to help guide them through the re-approval process, and answer any questions they have while preparing.

Technical Board

  • Meeting of the TB, 2010-05-18
    • Chair: sabdfl
    • Present: cjwatson, kees, keybuk, mdz, pitti, sabdfl
    • Review of Actions
      • On Reinhard's patent question: pitti got a reply from Amanda [Canonical legal] and replied to Reinhard and tb@
      • cjwatson has sync'd MoM
      • pitti has switched Soyuz'
    • 10.10.10
      • The Board continued their discussion on the proposed release date for Maverick Meerkat. Concern was expressed about releasing on a Sunday: it was agreed that the release would need to be prepared by the previous Friday. Various stakeholders (webmaster, marketing) will be ready for the release on the Sunday, but the bulk of the work should wrap during the previous work week and only a skeleton team need be in place over the weekend, barring a release crisis.
      • The updated release schedule, with 10.10.10 has been published, and should now be considered canonical Smile :-)

    • Releases to 12.04
      • The Board discussed Robbie's data on the factors affecting actual development time during releases. It's now clear that April releases get reduced developer time, due to the number of Western holidays during the cycle. As a result, we would like to release the October release a little earlier than we have in the past.
      • The Board voted and approved a proposal to ask Jorge Castro to engage with the GNOME release team, to see if they have similar dynamics in their cycle, and are amenable to aligning in this way. In addition, we asked Jorge to explore the possibility of publishing a schedule of release dates for 10.10 till 12.04, now. That would allow us to fix the dates of conferences, sprints and other events further in advance.
      • The Board also discussed avoiding the final week of the month for releases, but the idea did not carry and no consensus emerged.
    • Sparc and IA64 Status
      • Keybuk pointed the Board at which lists architectures and gives an indication of their degree of support in Ubuntu.

      • The Board approved that Keybuk publicise that page, together with the statement that SPARC and IA64 are declining in levels of usage and maintenance to the point where they are candidates for decommissioning. In the case of SPARC, the issues are severe, with kernel and toolchain causing problems to the point of SPARC being unusable. In the case of IA64, there was some discussion of benefits to the team of having IA64 builds, and a recognition of the fact that kernel and toolchain are in better shape. Nevertheless, the decision was taken that unless a substantial community effort rallies around IA64, it should also be decommissioned, and Keybuk will frame the mail that way.
    • Derivative hosting requests
      • Persia asked if the TB needed to be involved in questions about new derivatives, and the decision was that yes, if the request involved hosting or modifications to key infrastructure and build services, then requests should be addressed by the TB.
    • The chair for the next TB will be Keybuk.
  • Technical Board meeting, 2010-05-04
    • Attendees: Martin Pitt (chair), Kees Cook, Matt Zimmerman, Colin Watson, Mark Shuttleworth
    • Guests: Jonathan Riddell, Scott Kitterman, Emmet Hikory
    • Action review
      • Riddell and ScottK to sort next steps of KDE Updates process
        • Outstanding, but there was progress this week
      • cjwatson to write up 2010-03-09 meeting minutes
        • Outstanding
      • cjwatson to drive libfaac issue to conclusion
        • Outstanding
    • Scan the mailing list archive for anything we missed
      • That was done, added to agenda below
    • Request for Kubuntu Unseeded Packages Team
      • Would be best to create an explicit list of packages as a seed, based on the "reverse dependency" criterion
      • Once this list is done, DMB can implement
    • Scope of Canonical's acquired ffmpeg patent licenses for derivatives
      • This is believed to be strictly an OEM business, and not apply to Ubuntu in general
      • [ACTION] Martin to confirm with Canonical's legal department and follow up
    • Default sync source for Maverick
      • During lucid we synced from Debian testing by default; recently a survey was done (summary)

      • The TB unanimously voted for switching back to unstable for Maverick
        • [ACTION] cjwatson to switch MoM (done))

        • [ACTION] pitti to get Soyuz' switched
    • Chair for next meeting: Mark Shuttleworth

Ubuntu Development Teams

Reviewers Team

  • After extensive groundwork, Operation Cleansweep launched.

  • Horizontal and vertical meters for OperationCleansweep created by Daniel Holbach.

  • Total number of bugs with patch at launch 1952.
  • Dholbach and Stefanlsd working on adding more extensive documentation to wiki.

Xubuntu Team

Xubuntu team report for May, 2010

Bug Triage

  • Many bugs have been triaged and fixed this month.

Packaging, Development, & Testing

  • We tested and released Xubuntu 10.04, also know as Lucid Lynx.
  • We participated in UDS Maverick Meerkat.
  • In cooperation with Debian packaged and synced Xfce 4.6.2 for Maverick.

Website & Marketing




Ubuntu LoCo Teams

Asturian Team

Cameroonian Team

Catalan Team

  • May 1st: LoCo irc meeting. Preparations for Lucid release party.

  • May 3rd: New LoCo T-shrits.

  • May 15th: Released press note for Lucid Lynx release party in València.
  • May 16th: LoCo irc meeting. Lucid Lynx release party conferences.

  • May 17th: badges for install party.
  • May 22nd: Lucid Lynx release party at Octubre building in the center of València with conferences, workshops and install party.

  • May 23rd: Ubuntu Unconference at Octubre building in the center of València.
  • May 27th: 10 four-years-old PCs made Lucid at IES Torre Vicens Secondary School in Lleida.

Chilean Team

Czech Team

Danish Team

Ecuador Team

French Team

  • Global actions in May
    • 6000 french Ubuntu 10.04LTS LiveCD, 500 new Framakey Ubuntu-fr remix 10.04 and new Lucid Lynx mugs for our future events

    • 2 irl meetings for the organisation of the party in Paris and lot of preparation (leaflets, meetings in the venue, ...)
    • re-edition of our shirts
    • taking the lead of our web store

  • May 3rd : french web design team weekly irc meeting
  • May 8th : Premier Samedi du Libre in Paris with 20 install done

  • May 10th : french web design team weekly irc meeting
  • May 15th : Lucid Party in Bordeaux

    • 15 volunteers for 80 visitors, all the event covered by the girol webradio

  • May 17th : french web design team weekly irc meeting
  • May 22nd : Libr’expOS 2010 in Dijon

  • May 24th : Ubuntu Lunch in Paris
  • May 24th : french web design team weekly irc meeting
  • May 29th : Ubuntu Party in Lille

  • May 29th, 30th: Ubuntu-Party in Paris is

    • 140 volunteers for around 3000 visitors in two days.
    • 18 hours of class about beginning, personalizing, command line in ubuntu, ubuntu server, the french documentation, gpg signing, floss advocacy.
    • 14 hours of conferences about ubuntu, the other distributions, the free softwares, ubuntu in the education department
    • a game corridor, a webradio, floss associations
    • a continuous présentation of ubuntu studio by LProd

    • 200 lunch served for the volunteers in two days
    • photos link 1, link 2, link 3 and video

  • May 31th : french web design team weekly irc meeting

German Kubuntu Team

Greek Team

Honduras Team

Ubuntu Ireland

Ubuntu Israel

  • the old wiki has been moved to the servers of canonical.
  • the new managers that are going to replace Dolev and Beni are Moshe and Dor.

  • new contact man to Hamakor is Dor.

Ubuntu Colombia

  • Members of Ubuntu Colombia were in the meeting of Locos Hispanos on IRC chatting about collaboration between LoCo Teams. Summary

  • Ubuntu Colombia was participating on the first Drupal Colombia Meeting! Link Photos

  • Ubuntu Colombia is making a contest to update the Logo of Ubuntu Colombia using the new font and new concepts of Ubuntu brand, everybody can participate!!! Link

  • Ubuntu Colombia updated his homepage using the new Drupal theme!! Sweeeet. Website

  • Ubuntu Colombia is preparing his participation on Campus Party Colombia 2010. Link

  • Ubuntu Colombia support the Ubuntu Venezuela Community by the discrimination of Ubuntu and their community on the 6º Congreso Nacional de Software Libre in Venezuela. Link

  • Hollman Enciso and Sergio Meneses from Ubuntu Colombia were participating in the IV Jornada Software Libre of the Universidad del Valle - Tulua. Conferences and Installfest were the Ubuntu Colombia activities! Link Photos ODP Presentation

  • Diego Forigua from Ubuntu Colombia was on the migration journey and held a conference in the Universidad Libre. Link Photos

  • Ubuntu Colombia was part of the crew in the Ubuntu Open Week ES, great talks! Link

Japanese Team

Korean Team

Nicaraguan Team

  • 03 - 06 may:
    • Ubuntu Open Week in Spanish (i) event wiki. Marcelo Gutiérrez, José Angel Bonilla, Leandro Gómez and José Ernesto Dávila participated as instructors. Leandro Gómez and José Ernesto Dávila were part of the organization team.

  • 09 may:
  • 16 may:
    • Sandino's Memorial Concert (i) pictures. A non-tech related event where our LoCo Team distributed marketing material.

Norwegian team

Philippine Team

Romanian Team

Russian Team

South African Ubuntu team

Last months team report was delayed to include all our release parties.

Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team

Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team

Group Contribution

Individual Contribution

  • AlanBell presented on Free Software at the Redbridge School IT technicians forum and gave out 30 Lucid CDs

  • MattDaubney presented on Improving Community Support at Oggcamp

  • AlanPope presented his Ubuntu Geekbox and talked about Mumbuntu at Oggcamp

United States Teams

US Teams Project

Ubuntu California

Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team

  • Chicago Team Monthly IRC Meeting 2010-05-03
  • Began to discuss organizing a Geeknic or bike ride

District of Columbia Team

Florida LoCo Team

Iowa Team

New York State Team

IconsPage/32pixel/32books.png IconsPage/32pixel/32people.png 5 - 22 12pm - 4pm cws, deejoe and cprofitt will co-sponsor a Linux Workshop with Interlock Rochester

IconsPage/32pixel/32neotux.png IconsPage/32pixel/32people.png 5 - 20 7pm - 9pm Ralph Whitbeck - JQuery Golisano Building RIT

IconsPage/32pixel/32release.pngIconsPage/32pixel/32people.png 5 - 08 10am-11pm+ - Lucid Lynx Release Party, Expo, and Costume Contest at Slash Root in New Paltz, NY

IconsPage/32pixel/32crystalpeople.pngIconsPage/32pixel/32neotux.pngIconsPage/32pixel/32cdrom.png 5 - 06 7:30 - 2:30 - White Hat Security Day Rochester, NY

IconsPage/32pixel/32release.pngIconsPage/32pixel/32linuxhw.png IconsPage/32pixel/32people.png 5 - 01 10am - 6pm New York State Release Party for Lucid Lynx - Waterloo Holiday Inn, Delaware Room


  • 5-18 9pm - 10pm team meeting (IRC)

.:Structure Changes:.
The New York State Team removed the formal by-laws that had been established during the team origin and replaced it with an informal structure. The team lead is now the cprofitt who had been serving as the teams president since last November when elections were held. The team has also adopted the idea of re-locos from the Ohio team.

Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team

Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team

  • Held one LoCo team IRC meeting

  • NC Team held a release party in Asheville on May 1st, 2010
  • Members of the NC LoCo team participated in UDS-M

  • Members of the NC LoCo team attended and staffed a booth at the American Dairy Goat Association Festival in Spindale, NC.

Ohio Team

Pennsylvania Team

Washington Team

Ubuntu Venezuela Team

  • Ubuntu-ve Held it's monthly meeting on wednesday May 19th, Minutes from the meeting can be found here (Spanish)

  • Ubuntu-ve started preparation for its 4th Aniversary. It will be held in Maracay Announcement can be found here.

  • Ubuntu-ve will participate in XpoLinux in Barquisimeto, Lara State. more info on the details of the event here

Zimbabwe Team

Additional Ubuntu Teams

Ubuntu Beginners Team

  • Bodsda raised opinion that the Beginners FAQ page requires attention and an update.
    • Two ways of how to progress the matter have been hinted by members.
      • Re-designing the wiki page, updating all links.
      • Removing the page in favour of linking elsewhere in the Wiki. ie: Ubuntu SignPost.

    • ZachK_ offered to take the task of actioning this.
  • Discussed replacing Votebot with ubottu.
    • All members present were largely in favour of Votebot's deprecation.
    • Council are to vote on Votebot's removal from the main channels.
  • BT Council proposed a new draft for the membership requirements process to the rest of the team.

    • Discussions to continue on the Mailing List and Wiki.
  • ZachK_ announced that the Summer of Documentation is just around the corner, and requested for any members to help out.
  • cjohnston discussed an opportunity for the BT to help out in redesigning the Ubuntu Community page on the Ubuntu site.

    • Any member interested in helping, are to email, or PM cjohnston.

Ubuntu Classroom Team

Ubuntu NGO Team

Ubuntu Women

TeamReports/May2010 (last edited 2010-06-06 22:35:25 by adsl190-2578175)