October2011

October 2011 Team Reports

Contents

If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.

Ubuntu Governance

Americas Regional Membership Board

Asia Oceania Regional Membership Board

The approval results from the 11th October Asia Oceania Membership meeting are as follows:

  • Ashickur Rahman (ashickur-noor | ashickur-noor) was asked to come back in a while after being able to show more sustained and significant contributions. Discussions were had in to how he could possible join in on some other projects like translation and LoCos to assist with this development. Support was offered to achieve these goals in the near future.

It was also discussed and agreed upon to move the meetings to monthly. This was so that it lines up with the frequency of other Membership Board meetings. It was noted that if we were getting more applicants and we were unable to get through them in a normal meeting then we could re-instate the twice a month meetings if needed.

Community Council

  • Meeting 04 October 2011
  • Worked with Jono Bacon to draft a community survey about participation
  • Added new moderators to the ubuntu-user mailing list
  • Announced new Community Council Members
  • Meeting 18 October 2011
    • Welcome to new Community Council Members, basic discussion about the state of our community
    • Meeting Log

Developer Membership Board

Meeting summary

  • Review of previous action items
    • Laney to start thread on ubuntu-devel about renaming UCD (Laney, 19:08:08)
      • To let run for a bit longer. Summarise at the next meeting.
    • jono to ask Daniel to update https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers to be easier to read (Laney, 19:11:36)

    • cody-somerville to write some documentation on how to endorse someone (Laney, 19:12:25)
      • In progress, review next time
    • stgraber to publish packageset generation script so the rest of the DMB can help maintain it (Laney, 19:19:56)
      • Don't know

ACTION: Laney to poke stgraber about publishing package set script (Laney, 19:22:09)

  • James Page (Laney, 19:22:15)
    • Finished, position statement on similar applications (re: MOTU) to be sent out after all members have reviewed it.

ACTION: cody-somerville to follow up on position statement (Laney, 19:26:24)

  • Administrative Matters
    • Continue discussion about our package set management workflows (Laney, 19:29:00)
      • A proposal was put forward by Laney and broadly agreed by members present.

ACTION: Laney to write down proposal for streamlining packageset changes and mail DMB and TB (Laney, 19:41:45) ACTION: micahg to ping packageset owners to write down criteria for package membership (Laney, 19:46:50)

  • next chair
    • It was decided to follow an alphabetical rotation, skipping micahg as he chaired last week. Next chair: stgraber.

Meeting ended at 19:51:21 UTC.

Action items

  • Laney to poke stgraber about publishing package set script
  • cody-somerville to follow up on position statement
  • Laney to write down proposal for streamlining packageset changes and mail DMB and TB
  • micahg to ping packageset owners to write down criteria for package membership

Action items, by person

  • cody-somerville
  • * cody-somerville to follow up on position statement
  • Laney
  • * Laney to poke stgraber about publishing package set script
  • * Laney to write down proposal for streamlining packageset changes and mail DMB and TB
  • micahg
  • * micahg to ping packageset owners to write down criteria for package membership

People present (lines said)

  • Laney (83)
  • micahg (13)
  • cody-somerville (13)
  • bdrung (8)
  • geser (7)
  • meetingology (7)
  • ScottK (2)
  • ajmitch (1)

EMEA Regional Membership Board

Forum Council

IRC Council

Meeting summary

IRC Council meeting 2011-10-08

  • Bugs

LINK: https://bugs.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-irc-council (jussi, 11:01:59)

  • Review last meetings action items
    • nhandler to look into extending eir nag frequency and getting ubottu to show BT urls, with assistance from tsimpson - Appeared to be complete, though confirmation needed.
    • topyli and jussi to review m4v's guidelines draft - still todo
  • Make Lubuntu channels core after Oneiric release

ACTION: topyli Send informative email to #lubuntu ops list, with guidelines and application stuff (jussi, 11:43:57)

IRC Council meeting 2011-10-30

  • Review Bugs
    • New bug:
      • Launchpad bug 883119 in ubuntu-community "Issues needlessly in the IRC Council's private issue tracker" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/883119

      • hopes it will increase transparency but concerns it could be as messy as the mailing list.
      • will allow non-ircc input on issues that theoretically will count towards the decision
      • to be trialed and monitored for effectiveness
    • Existing bug:
  • Review Last Meeting Action Items
    • #lubuntu ops stuff
      • Launchpad teams ready
      • current ops to reapply, have been consulted and satisfaction about situation is expectedly varied.
      • call will happen sometime soon after some post-release breathing space
      • bioterror (current #lubuntu op) notes that many are on the list but have never used the privileges
  • Any Other Business
    • IRCC awols mentioned

LoCo Council

Technical Board

  • Meeting: 2011-10-06
    • Chair: Martin Pitt
    • Attendees: Kees Cook, Stephane Graber
    • Guests: Allison Randal, Scott Kitterman, Lamont Jones
  • Brainstorm review update: Cycle completed, see Colin's summary

  • Recruiting new members for the ARB (Allison)
    • Proposal: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AppReviewBoard/Restaffing

    • This was discussed and edited to add the requirement that new board members must be Ubuntu developers, i. e. ~ubuntu-dev members. This does not retroactively apply to the already existing members, though.
    • Proposal carried with 3 for, 0 against, 0 abstained.
  • Postfix microrelease exception request (Scott K)
    • Upstream has tight requirements for what goes into stable microreleases, QAs them with regression tests, and has a good history of not breaking anything. Known breakage so far was in the packaging.
    • Our QA regression testing repository has an existing integration test script which should be run on the proposed packages for checking for general mis-builds, packaging errors, etc.

    • Team members generally feel good about routinely SRUing microreleases, but want to see an existing successful SRU first. Martin signed up for reviewing that SRU. This will be re-discussed after that.

Ubuntu Development Teams

Reviewers Team

Xubuntu Team

Ubuntu Studio

Ubuntu LoCo Teams

Argentina Team

Asturian Team

Australian Team

  • October Team Meeting - This meeting was on the 9th of October 2011 and attended by 8 team members.

  • jpickett (sagaci on IRC) asked those in attendance to provide updates on the status of their respective release parties. As Sydney's had already occurred (on Saturday, 8th of October with 7 in total registering either their commitment to attend or their strong interest in doing so). It was decided that jpickett (sagaci on IRC) would write a review/reflection of Sydney release event. After the meeting, other cities held their successful Release Party events. Team Members based in Brisbane met at the Breakfast Creek Hotel on the 15th of October for a bite to eat and/or some beverages with 10 people in total registering either their commitment to attend or their strong interest in doing so.

  • As the next release cycle will be for the next LTS of Ubuntu - events, meetings, goals and ideas for Ubuntu-AU were discussed. Discussion pertaining to t-shirt order/design/feasibility was to take place place on the team mailing list.
  • As the Facebook group for Ubuntu-AU in its current form will soon be archived plans for its future form were discussed. jaddi27 to update the Facebook group per the vote taken at the meeting: "For: 6 Against: 0 Abstained: 0".

  • A LoCo status update, and en-AU translation update was provided.

  • Due to daylight savings, 9pm may be too late for some NSW/VIC/TAS users. It was decided that discussion regarding changing the time of team meetings would be deferred to the mailing list.
  • jpickett (sagaci on IRC) wrote to let the mailing list to inform everyone that the ownership of en-AU translations has changed to him - and a mailing list has been set up at: ubuntu-l10n-en-au at lists.launchpad.net

  • Chris Robinson (fabricator4 on IRC) wrote to the mailing list informing them of his experience with Oneiric. Particularly pointing out an annoying bug.

  • JaredNorris (head_victim on IRC) forwarded to the mailing list an email from the lococontacts mailing list about their urgent request for Sessions and Session Leaders for Ubuntu Open Week.

  • The Ubuntu-AU team progress blueprint on Launchpad was updated by jpickett (sagaci on IRC).

  • Peter Baker (jellyware on IRC) let everyone on the mailing list know that Ubuntu 11.10 CDs were now available through his CD distribution service http://www.ubuntu.net.au.

  • jpickett (sagaci on IRC) informed the Loco that a Launchpad blueprint to track the status/effort to produce a localised Ubuntu AU ISO was created. Additionally, it was asked that Loco Team members contribute suggestions regarding default settings to the Launchpad blueprint, as a first step.

  • Now that we are an official LoCo again one of the support functions is that we are entitled to some pressed CDs for each version. In the interests of transparency JaredNorris (head_victim on IRC) asked that if anyone has any requests for batches of official pressed Ubuntu 11.10 CDs (10 - 50) that they submit a request to the mailing list for discussion.

  • JaredNorris (head_victim on IRC) reported that Canonical have started working on the Drupal update required for our website to be themed with the new colours and logo.

  • jpickett (sagaci on IRC) let the mailing list know that there'd be a short meeting to discuss the state of the en_AU Ubuntu translation effort on Friday 4th November at 10am-10:45am UTC.

Belgian Team

* October 6th: IRC meeting

* October 9th: booth at the "brocante informatique" in Seraing (Liège)

* October 16th: booth at the computer fair in Hasselt

* October 30th: booth at the computer fair in Kortrijk

Cameroonian Team

This is the activities report of May.

Canadian Team

  • October 4: IRC Meeting.

  • October 7: Kitchener Ubuntu Hour
  • October 13: Toronto Oneiric Release Party
  • October 15: Kitchener Oneiric Release Party
  • October 29: dscassel presented at FSOSS on Ubuntu Canada.

Catalan Team

  • October 1st: Ubuntu speech and install party at Volcanica.cat in Olot, near Girona.
  • October 1st: irc meeting (number 100!) about release party speeches details and more release parties.
  • October 16th: irc meeting about Oneiric release party.
  • October 22nd: collaboration on Open Translation Day in Barcelona.

China Team

Chilean Team

Ubuntu Colombia

Czech Team

  • Ubuntu Release Party 11.10 in Hradec Králové
    • presentations:
      • 10:00 - 10:05 - introduction
      • 10:05 - 10:45 - Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot - Tadeáš Pařík
      • 10:50 - 11:30 - Kubuntu 11.10 - Martin Kiklhorn
      • 11:35 - 12:15 - Xubuntu - Miro Hrončok
      • 12:15 - 13:00 - lunch
      • 13:00 - 13:40 - Ubuntu server - Tomáš Břinčil
      • 13:45 - 14:30 - Gnome Shell - Jiří Eischmann
      • 14:30 - 15:10 - Ubuntu community in the Czech republic & World - Vojtěch Trefný

      • 15:10 - ????? - after party
    • photos are available on our czech facebook profile
    • all details in the special topic on our czech forum
  • Library in Pruhonice (near to Prague) was successfully migrated to Xubuntu 11.04

Danish Team

Ecuador Team

French Team

German Kubuntu Team

Greek Team

October report

Honduras Team

Hungarian Team

Indian Team

Ubuntu Ireland

  • Regular Monthly IRC Meeting was held at the new time of 9pm Irish time on Wednesday the 19th of October, 2011.

  • To celebrate the release of Oneiric Ocelot (Ubuntu 11:10) on Saturday 15 Oct 11 we went for a bite to eat and then continued the celebrations at a nearby bar. Some photos here.

  • Ubuntu Hour Dublin returned with a new day, time and venue on 23rd of October, 2011.

Ubuntu Israel

Japanese Team

Korean Team

Myanmar Team

  • Translating Ubuntu-Manual into Burmese for Ubuntu Burmese Manual Guide.

  • Writing ubuntu wiki for latest version Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) at wiki.u4mm.com.

  • Preparing for words standardization discussion event with Ubuntu Localization+Linguistics specialists on 30 October 2011.

  • On 30 October 2011,at Words Standardize Discussion Event ,all the members of Ubuntu Myanmar LoCo Team agreed to hold the localization for a moment.

  • Work 4 U opening at 15.October.2011.

Nicaraguan Team

Norwegian team

Philippine Team

Quebec Team

Romanian Team

Russian Team

Serbian Team

South African Ubuntu team

Stuff We've Done

Swedish Team

  • LoCo meeting held on the 12th

    • Regular monthly LoCo member meeting.

  • The LoCo has chosen Team Contact and Team Leader

    • Current Team Contact and Team Leader can be found here.

  • Release party in Gothenburg on the 20th of October.

Swiss Team

Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team

Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team

United States Teams

US Teams Project

Ubuntu California

Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team

District of Columbia Team

Florida LoCo Team

Please update with team activity from 11/October here.

Iowa Team

New York State Team

Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team

Ohio Team

Oregon Team

Pennsylvania Team

Ubuntu 11.10 Release Party Thurs October 13th 6pm

Virginia Team

Washington Team

Wisconsin Team

* Event: Rick led an Oct 3 Introduction to Ubuntu workshop at the Rhinelander Public Library. 13 participants!

* Monthly Meeting: Oct 5, 20:00 CDT in #ubuntu-us-wi. This is the rescheduled September meeting. Bad weather Sept 27 caused connectivity problems for some members. (log)

* Event: This month's Milwaukee Ubuntu Hour was scheduled for October 7. CANCELLED - Cheesehead had a conflicting engagement. This event is on first Friday of each month. The next Milwaukee Ubuntu Hour will be November 4.

* Event: This month's Madison Ubuntu Hour was October 15. This event is on the third Saturday of each month, and is hosted by Madison LUG. The next Madison Ubuntu Hour will be November 19.

* IRC Event: Cheesehead led an Ubuntu Open Week session on Brainstorm on Oct 18. (log)

* IRC Event: Cheesehead led a session on testing and using the new hardware testing tool, Ubuntu Friendly, on Oct 18.

* Monthly Meeting: Oct 26, 21:00 CDT in #ubuntu-us-wi. (log)

Ubuntu Venezuela Team

Zimbabwe Team

Additional Ubuntu Teams

Ubuntu Accessibility Team

Ubuntu Beginners Team

There no team meeting in the October 2011.

Ubuntu Classroom Team

Ubuntu NGO Team

Ubuntu Women

TeamReports/October2011 (last edited 2011-11-22 06:28:43 by bonepyaesone)