April 2011 Team Reports
If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.
Americas Regional Membership Board
- The approval results from the April 21st Americas Membership meeting are as follows:
- Meeting 2011-04-19
- CC decided to close the Sounders mailing list. In essence, this is a decision to prune areas of the project which are offtopic or ungoverned, on the basis that they distract from our shared community focus on the goal of delivering free software in the best possible state, on particular terms (free of charge, cadence). While we appreciate that the Sounders list (and possibly other, similar forums) provide a particular social release for those who use them, we think there are better forums for each of the varied topics discussed there. Some of those are inside the project, most are elsewhere.
Together with DMB decided the exclusion of an Ubuntu member.
Ubuntu Wiki was relicensed to CC BY-SA 3.0.
- Meeting 2011-04-05:
- Discussion about RMB approval processes.
Developer Membership Board
Developer Membership Board meeting, 2011-04-25
Chair: Iain Lane
Present: Cody Somerville, Benjamin Drung, Mackenzie Morgan, Stéphane Graber, Michael Bienia
Review of previous action items
- Laney to update delegated teams to allow members to renew their memberships themselves: Done barring any accidental omissions
Developer applications for Christopher James Halse Rogers, Sylvestre Ledru
These applications are being processed on the devel-permissions mailing list
MOTU application: Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre
This application was processed on the devel-permissions mailing list and was voted on.
The result of the vote is: 4 for, 0 against. 0 abstained.
Mathieu becomes a member of motu. The application is approved.
PerPackageUploader application: Jelmer Vernooij
The packages concerned are bzr, bzr-svn, bzr-git, bzr-grep, bzr-hg, bzr-gtk, qbzr, bzr-cvsimport, bzr-dbus, bzr-email, bzr-explorer, bzr-fastimport, bzr-loom, bzr-pqm, bzr-rewrite, bzr-search, bzr-stats, bzr-upload, bzr-xmloutput, bzrtools, trac-bzr, wikkid, dulwich, subvertpy, meliae, tevent, talloc, ldb, samba4, heimdal, openchange, samba.
The application was considered in two parts: bzr and samba.
The first vote was to grant jelmer PPU access to bzr, bzr-svn, bzr-git, bzr-grep, bzr-hg, bzr-gtk, qbzr, bzr-cvsimport, bzr-dbus, bzr-email, bzr-explorer, bzr-fastimport, bzr-loom, bzr-pqm, bzr-rewrite, bzr-search, bzr-stats, bzr-upload, bzr-xmloutput, bzrtools, trac-bzr, wikkid, dulwich, subvertpy, meliae. The result of the vote was: 4 for, 0 against. 0 abstained. Jelmer gets access to these packages.
The second vote was to grant jelmer PPU access to tdb tevent talloc ldb, samba4, heimdal, openchange, samba. The result of the vote was: 4 for. 0 against. 0 abstained. Jelmer gets access to these packages.
Extension of the Zope packageset
Gediminas Paulauskas requested 5 additional packages to be added to the Zope package set.
The DMB briefly discussed moving to an informal approval mechanism for this set, but it was decided that the set isn't well defined enough to allow for this. Cody noted that there is a Zope section of the Ubuntu archive that could potentially be used. It was decided to revisit this issue if adding new Zope packages becomes too time-consuming.
The packages to be added are: z3c.ptcompat, zope.applicationcontrol, zope.fixers, zope.logi, zope.pluggableauth. The result of the vote was: 5 for, 0 against. 0 abstained. The packages are added to the set.
Core Developer Application: Michael Terry
The application was discussed and voted on: 4 for, 0 against. 1 abstained.
The next meeting will be on 2011-05-09 14:00UTC.
Note that this meeting will be at UDS in addition to on IRC. We have requested a room for the meeting.
Chair for next meeting
EMEA Regional Membership Board
IRC Council Meeting 2011-04-24 (Full Log)
- Topic: Add eir to #ubuntu
- Work still ongoing with ubottu integration, review next meeting.
- Topic: Remove Idoru from #ubuntu because of false positives
- Vote: remove idoru from #ubuntu for a 2 week trial and see if heaven falls/bad things (tm) happen?.
- Final result is 2 for, 1 against. 1 abstained.
- Action: remove idoru from #ubuntu for a 2 week trial and see if heaven falls/bad things (tm) happen (nhandler)
- Topic: Ubuntu Namespace limits
- Action: Take "Define ubuntu namespace limits" to the mailing list. (topyli)
Blueprint for UDS Created: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-o-irc-council
Wiki Page for ideas for UDS Created: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcCouncil/UDS-O/Ideas
- Daniel0108 given admin privelidges in #ubuntu-at at the request of the loco council.
- 3 Appeals/Other requests dealt with
LoCo Council Meeting 2011-04-19
ACTION: Laura is to look into the potential of Canonical providing a shop for extra LoCo supplies.
ubuntu-tn - APPROVED (Full logs on bug #673331 )
- Pending Approvals
- Blocked Items
- DNS Issue (Blocked since: 2010-12-11). Waiting on Canonical.
- Meeting 2011-04-07
- Chair: Kees Cook
- Present: Scott James Remnant, Matt Zimmerman
- Apologies: Martin Pitt, Colin Watson, Mark Shuttleworth
- Guests: Doug Mandell, Rick Spencer, Dave Morley, Jorge Castro, James Westby, Chris Coulson, Scott Kitterman
- action review
- everything assigned last meeting was completed
- Classic Gnome Desktop by default (dmandell)
- Action: rickspencer3 will bring up the state of unity on the -desktop list for public review and discussion
- Scan the mailing list archive for anything we missed (standing item)
- nothing needed discussion during the IRC meeting
- Check up on community bugs (standing item)
- 1 bug is closed (patches URL)
- Action: mdz to attach missing patches for debian bugs 151820 308832 35325 and 326677
- 2 bugs remain standing for LP rights
- 1 bug is closed (patches URL)
- Select a chair for the next meeting
- mdz selected
Ubuntu Development Teams
See the Natty release planning wiki page for details.
- TODO - update this section with new URL
See the Website Update wiki page for details.
- Brian David emailed the dev mailing list with the example website files for testing
- Testers will need a local instance of Drupal
- Testers will most likely also need a local instance of MySQL
- Testing will need to follow the included README.txt file
ScottLavender agreed to prepare 2nd draft of site map focusing on primary features
See the -controls development wiki page for details.
- ailo and paultag have been hacking up code for the update
ScottLavender is getting anxious to get it built, testing, and pushed to the repos :/
See the Ubuntu Studio Backports wiki page for details.
The Ubuntu Studio Backports wiki page was updated...a LOT
rakarrack PPA package ready for testing
- Several backport requests were filed. See BACKPORTS section above for details.
Marked as Incomplete Bugs
ScottLavender began building -lowlatency kernel with aboganni's assistance in hopes of getting it in Natty
- It is realised the window for getting the -lowlatency kernel in Natty is very slim
Ubuntu LoCo Teams
Natty Release Parties - there were 5 Natty release parties organised around the country, details available at:
April 3d: booth at computer fair in Genk
April 10th: booth at computer fair in Ghent
April 14th: IRC Meeting with JanC, woutervddn, lofty40, jurgentje, sylvaintechnic, Jean7491
April 21th: IRC Meeting with JanC, mimor, wouter_vddn, massimo21, clamam, jurgentje, sylvaintechnic, gadeynebram, Jean7491
April 25th: IRL Meeting in Vilvoorde "Laying some foundation to the Belgian LoCo Team" with jurgentje, janb, mongolito404, pvandewyngaer, sylvaintechnic, JanC, RamiAdrien, nero_, Jean7491 - A Council of 6 members was constituted to lead, coordinate and support the Belgian LoCo Team.
This is the activities report of April.
April 2nd - Premier Samedi du Libre in Paris
This is a multi-distribution small install fest where around 60 people come to get help configuring and installing their Linux system.
- April 2nd - Install Party in Quimper
- April 3rd - Ubuntu Global Jam in Paris
- April 4th - Ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
- April 5th - Ubuntu Party 11.04 in Paris - Organisation meeting
- April 4th - Ubuntu-fr-infra meeting
- April 10th - Ubuntu Party 11.04 in Paris - Organisation meeting
- April 10th - Install Party in Saint-Ouen
- April 11th - Ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
- April 16th - Permanence associative in Dijon
- April 16th and 17th - Week-end du libre in Angers where we helped for an install fest and some talks about Ubuntu.
- April 16th and 17th - Salon Angevin du Multimédia in Angers where we hold a both
- April 18th - Ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
- April 19th - Ubuntu Party 11.04 in Paris - Organisation meeting
- April 21th - Jeudi de la bidouille in Lyon
- April 24th - Ubuntu Party 11.04 in Paris - Organisation meeting
- April 25th - Ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
- April 28th - Release Party in Lyon and Paris
- April - We finaly switched our websites to our new servers. We are now ready to optimize them and add more tools like Sympa and Help. We started to test seeks for the internal searches on all our domain.
German Kubuntu Team
We organized 3 release parties in 3 cities of Hungary: Budapest, Pécs, Szeged. Announcement (in Hungarian): http://ubuntu.hu/nattyreleaseparty
We had our monthly IRC meeting on the first Thursday of the month as usual: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HungarianTeam/IRCMeetings
We regularly updated our loco site with the latest news: http://ubuntu.hu
- We did various translation-related tasks
Held monthly team meeting at #ubuntu-in. See Minutes of the meeting.
nigelb opened the membership of the Indian team on lp. See the MailingList
Manish blogged about Gnome.Asia.
Manish took a session on Zeitgeist API & Zeitgeist Application Integration during Ubuntu App Developer Week. (IRC Logs)
Regular Monthly IRC Meeting was held at 8pm Irish time on Wednesday 20th of April, 2011.
For the first time there was a second Ubuntu Global Jam event in Ireland. Other members of our LoCo participated in UGJ Limerick hosted by The University of Limerick Computer Society also on the 2nd of April, 2011 from 10am till 6pm. Details here
Our Natty Narwhal Release party was held on the evening of the release date, 28 Apr 11. Details here
- We attended Open Source Conference 2011 Kansai@Kobe and held a seminar. Slides are available from the link below.
- A team member Hajime Mizuno wrote an article about Ubuntu 11.04 for the May issue of Software Design.
- Takashi Sakamoto joined Ubuntu Japanese Team.
South African Ubuntu team
apologies for the catchup report
Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team
- Organisation of the ubuntu and Free Software Day at the "Higher Institute of Computer and Communication Techniques of sousse"
- Organisation of the ubuntu and Free Software Day at"Higher Institute of Applied Sciences and Technology of Sousse"
Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team
We announced http://oggcamp.org/
We had an event http://ucubed.info/
Les Pounder interviewed the Linux Outlaws http://linuxoutlaws.com/podcast/202
London release party for Natty http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/889/detail/
Les Pounder co-hosted the Fullcircle sidepod with Robin Catling http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2011/05/02/full-circle-side-pod-episode-eight-hardware-software-and-knitting/
United States Teams
US Teams Project
- Team Meetings
- Ubuntu Hours
Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team
District of Columbia Team
Florida LoCo Team
Please update with team activity from 11/April here.
New York State Team
20110423 8am - 6pm Rochester Linux Festival @ RIT Pictures
Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team
Planning and preparing for LinuxFest Northwest (LFNW) 2011
- Booth at LFNW 2011 April 30th - May 1
Ubuntu Venezuela Team
Additional Ubuntu Teams
Ubuntu Accessibility Team
The next article in the series of personas was published http://ubuntuaccessibility.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/meet-daniela/
We are organising an evening out at the invisible exhibition at UDS in Budapest http://ubuntuaccessibility.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/the-invisible-exhibition-at-uds/
Ubuntu Beginners Team
Regular monthly meeting on April 13(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings/20110413) - 6 members in attendance, 41 minutes long, with cprofitt holding the chair.
- The UBT Countil in conjunction with the team should develop a potential structure docmuent for prospective members to follow. This document would then be adopted by a vote in a future meeting
Ubuntu Classroom Team
5 Apr: Basics of Bug Triaging
Apr 11 - Apr 15: Hosted UbuntuAppDeveloperWeek
Ubuntu NGO Team
Ubuntu Women Team
- Of the 644 Ubuntu Members at the end of this month 5.31% are women
LinuxFest Northwest April 30-May 1, Valorie Zimmerman staffed a booth for the Washington State LoCo, displaying and handing U-W fliers and cards, and discussing the project with many people. http://www.linuxfestnorthwest.org/about
Full Circle Magazine, Issue #48 with interview of Ubuntu Contributor Jessica Ledbetter
Team meeting April 21st