Note from the Team admins
Hi Ubuntu MediaCenter members,
As you probably noticed, the UMC project has been on low-profile for several months. Work has been stopped and Fluendo doesn't currently have the resources to continue on this community effort
So unless someone raises the hand to take over the UMC project, we are going to close this mailing list and the UMC/Launchpad stuff.
In the meantime Elisa became Moovida few months ago, the UI has been updated to give a more profesional end-user experience. We encourage you all to try Moovida. We really hope to have sometime in the future a better integration with Ubuntu in the spirit of UMC
Thanks to you all for your efforts on this project!
This Team works on making the Ubuntu Media Center dream come true.
For a good definition of a Media Center, have a look at Wikipedia.
The main tasks of this Team are:
- Federate all Ubuntu and upstream forces interested in the subject and create a Development Community.
- Sum up the state of media center artwork and select a base software.
Specify the functions and the look & feel of the Ubuntu Media Center.
- Create the needed resources (graphical and textual components) and plugins.
- Package and maintain everything needed for an Ubuntu Media Center.
- Create a specific distribution for UMC installation.
- Maintain and improve the results.
- Work closely with upstreams (Elisa, Debian, LIRC, etc.).
The Ubuntu Media Center will be both suited for desktop usage and operation as a dedicated appliance.
The base software that will be used is Elisa.
We have set up a temporary mailing list for team usage, while waiting for the official email@example.com ones. Subscribe here.
How to Contribute
Sign up on the launchpad page.
- Join the temporary development mailing list as described above.
Lay down your useful skills in the Sandbox.
Projects and status
Media Center State of the art
needs final polishing and completion
only considering milestone 1
Common user directories standardization
Under discussion with freedesktop members. See draft specification
lirc, elisa, gstreamer / codecs, ...
Launchpad Membership Policy
Any kind of participation is welcome! So, if you feel you are motivated, and have to express ideas and/or skills in the MC area, join us!
However, we are especially looking for:
- Kernel Hackers for LIRC integration
- Graphic Designers for the UI and Artwork
- Python Developers for Elisa plugins and skins
The Ubuntu Media Center Team is subdivided into Strike Forces (SF). Each Strike Force is dedicated to varying goals and projects.
Weekly IRC meetings are held on Wednesday at 7 PM UTC in #elisa on irc.freenode.net.
IRC Meeting (September 5th)
IRC Meeting (August 30th)
IRC Meeting (August 8th)
IRC Meeting (August 1th)
IRC Meeting (July 25th)
IRC Meeting (July 18th)
IRC Meeting (July 11th)
IRC Meeting (July 4th)
IRC Meeting (June 27th)
IRC Meeting (June 20th)
IRC Meeting (June 13th)
Community Council meeting (May 15th), blessing the UMC project