August 2010 Team Reports


If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.

Ubuntu Governance

Americas Regional Membership Board

The approval results from the August 19th Americas Membership meeting are as follows:

Cesar Sevilla ( |

John Baer ( |

Community Council

Developer Membership Board

Developer Membership Board meeting, 2010-08-17

Chair: Emmet Hikory

Present: Colin Watson, Søren Hansen, Cody Somerville, Michael Bienia, Stéphane Graber

Authorisation of ubuntu-server-dev


Approved: 5 in favour

MOTU Application for Bhavani Shankar


Undecided: Voting: 2 in favour, 3 abstained, 2 pending

ACTION: persia to call for remaining votes for coolbhavi's application

MOTU Application for Brian Thomason


Deferred: 2 in favour, 2 against

Other Items

Rapidly dimishing quorum and change of chair causes additional concerns that the current meeting time may not be the best to ensure effective treatment of issues raised before the DMB.

ACTION: cjwatson to initiate discussion of different meeting times

EMEA Regional Membership Board

  • Date: 2010/08/03
    • Board Members Present
      • Laura Czajkowski (czajkowski) - Chair
      • Alan Pope (popey)
      • Oliver Grawert (ogra)
      • David Rubin (drubin)
      • Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)
    • Apologies:
      • Dennis Kaarsemaker
      • Stéphane Graber
    • Applications
    • Actions and follow-up items
      • highvoltage to chair next meeting

Forum Council

IRC Council

  • IRC Council meeting, 14 August 2010

    • Attendance: nhandler, Pici, topyli, jussi (for ~4 minutes)
    • [TOPIC] Support channel bug parsing
      • No technical reason to have bug info fetching disabled in #ubuntu, #kubuntu, and #xubuntu
      • Some concern about the added noise that the bug info will create and about the possibility of the bug info leading to off-topic discussion in the support channels.
      • [AGREED] Enable bug info retrieval in #xubuntu and #kubuntu for a trial period and re-evaluate the issue at our next meeting. If sucessful, expand trial to #ubuntu. If not, disable feature in #k and #x.
      • [ACTION] topyli to grep the logs of #k and #x before the next meeting to try and analyze the effect of having the bug info enabled
      • [ACTION] Pici to get bug info enabled in #kubuntu and #xubuntu
    • [TOPIC] Enabling Bot Features without discussion
      • Pici felt that the change to ubottu to send a ntoice to #ubuntu-ops asking OPs to review bans set by FloodBots should have been discussed on the mailing list and possibly at an IRC Council meeting

      • There was general agreement among the council that more communication about changes being made to the bots would be nice
      • [ACTION] topyli to contact the bot devel team about better communication
    • [TOPIC] bshellz
      • Briefly discussed the topic of bshellz blanket bans to deal with troublesome users since the bshellz admins are not keen on "policing" their users
      • [ACTION] nhandler to poke ikonia about sending an email to the ML about the bshellz issue
    • [ACTION] nhandler to do post-meeting tasks
  • IRC Council meeting, 29 August 2010

    • Attendance: jussi, Pici, topyli
    • [TOPIC] Legitimacy of discussing policies and op actions by people not directly affected
      • LjL presented, citing a recent even where he was asked to leave -ops after disagreeing with the ban placed on another user.
      • Present parties agreed that it was unhelpful for third parties to be allowed to act as another's attorney.
      • We discussed the current appeals process and how that could be modified. We would explicitly mention this particular use-case in the wiki page.
      • [AGREED] We shall slightly revise the appeals wiki entry to clarify that users may dispute operator actions even when they were not the user affected by such actions.
      • [ACTION] nhandler to revise wiki page

LoCo Council

  • LoCo Health Check took place - 3rd August, - Minutes from Meeting

  • We had a LoCo Council meeting on the 4th August - Minutes from meeting

    • Team {re}approvals
      • Ubuntu-ZA - Re-approved
      • Ubuntu-TAM - Needs to come back on the next LoCo Council Meeting (the 17th of August)with a more detailed application page

      • Ubuntu-RS - Re-approved
      • Ubuntu-RO - Re-approved, this was done via mailing list
      • Ubuntu-us-ut - Re-approved, this was done via mailing list
    • Topics Discussed.
      • Updating Application with new headings
        • popey to create pdfs of successful team re approvals as examples to help teams
        • huats to set up a sample new wiki page for applications and to kick off email for loco council to work on
  • We had a LoCo Council meeting on the 17th August where we reviewed applications from teams for Approval and Re Approval of their LoCo status and updated action items from last meeting. Minutes from meeting

    • Update from action items from last meeting
      • popey to create pdfs of successful team re approvals as examples to help teams
    • Team {re}approvals
      • Ubuntu-CO - Re-approved
      • Ubuntu-HU - Re-approved
      • Ubuntu-TAM - Asked the team to come back in two months with a more detailed application
      • Ubuntu-PE - Asked the team to come back in September with 2009 Events documented
      • Ubuntu-US-NM - Re-approved
      • Ubuntu-US-CHI - Re-approved
      • Ubuntu-AST - Approved

Technical Board

Ubuntu Development Teams

Reviewers Team

  • Total number of bugs with patches reviewed now 420.
  • Hug Day for patches on August 12.

  • 1385 bugs remaining in queue.
  • Mailing list created on LP.

  • Patch Review promoted as an activity for UbuntuGlobalJam

Kubuntu Team

Xubuntu Team

Xubuntu team report for August, 2010

Bug Triage

  • Our bug triage efforts are paying off for Xubuntu. Many bugs were squashed this past month.

Packaging, Development, & Testing

  • We tested Maverick Meerkat Alpha3 with good results.
  • Uploaded new bugfix releases of Goffice (0.8.8) and Gnumeric (1.10.8) in Maverick Meerkat.
  • XRandR 1.2 support (multiple layouts, rotations, reflections, etc.) added to Xfce4-display-settings, to be released with Xfce 4.8, thanks to the work of Lionel Le Folgoc (mr_pouit).
  • Development packages of Xfce 4.7.x (future 4.8) updated in Xubuntu developers' PPA. Feel free to test them and report bugs on to make Xfce 4.8 rock!

Website & Marketing


  • Xubuntu wants your artwork! We need a countdown image and timer for Maverick.
  • We still need a good plymouth theme.
  • Selected the artwork for Maverick. Everyone that submitted artwork deserves a huge thank you.
  • Xubuntu 10.10 / Balls/Curve will be the new wallpaper for Xubuntu 10.10.
  • A new GTK theme from Shimmer Project called Bluebird was also chosen by the team.


  • We are striving to get more users to blog about Xubuntu. We would like to keep word out of the changes being made, as well as new releases.


Ubuntu LoCo Teams

Argentina Team

  • Sat 28 Ubuntu Global Jam Argentina - Info & pics

  • Organizing introductory "charlas" for public technical school (September)
  • Organizing participation in CISL 2010 Argentina chapter with conference plus an Ubuntu/Ubuntu-ar promotional stall (September)
  • Preparing participation in EPUEL 2010 with an Ubuntu and Ubuntu Community conference (September)

Asturian Team

  • 27 August - Ubuntu Global Jam. Info / Pictures 1 & 2.

Brazilian Team

Cameroonian Team

Canadian Team

  • August 7: Beta test of our Ubuntu LAN Party in Kitchener.

  • August 22: IRC Meeting

  • Ubuntu Hour in Ottawa
  • August 27-29: Ubuntu Global Jam
    • Six people at the Waterloo Bug Jam, Sat, 28 Aug 2010: Three bug fighters, two curious drop-ins and one bug-triage-presentation attendee.
    • Some bugs triaged, some bugs discovered and reported
    • Verdict: Success; fun had by all.

Catalan Team

Chilean Team

Ubuntu Colombia

Danish Team

Ecuador Team

French Team

  • August 5th : Communication and marketing consultation.
    A small encounter with marketing professionals to build guidelines for our future actions.

  • August 7th - Premier Samedi du Libre in Paris
    This is a multi-distribution small install fest where around 60 people come to get help configuring and installing their Linux system.

  • August 7th : Picnic - Cité des sciences et de l'industrie in Paris organised by ubuntu-fr.

  • August 8th : Picnic - Bois de Vincennes in Paris, organised by

  • August 9th : weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
  • August 10th : Ubuntu Party in Paris organisation meeting on irc #ubuntu-fr-meeting - minutes

  • August 16th : weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
  • August 19th : Communication and marketing consultation.
    A small encounter with marketing professionals to build guidelines for our future actions.

  • August 23rd : weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
  • August 24th : Ubuntu Party in Paris organisation meeting on irc #ubuntu-fr-meeting - minutes

  • August 29th : The Parisian Free software user group is enjoying an outdoor party the last weekend of each summer month. This time it was at the Parc André Citroën.
  • August 29th : Ubuntu Party in Paris organisation meeting. First IRL meetting at the venue. minutes

  • August 30th : weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
  • August 31st : ubuntu-fr LoCo Team meeting on irc #ubuntu-fr-meeting. minutes

    • Our summer events
    • The future events coming
    • Creating a new ubuntu-fr member status, first guidelines
    • Visibility of the admins teams in our LoCo Team

    • Creation of the marketing team
    • Ubuntu french user groups and our LoCo Team.

    • Future actions and goodies.

German Kubuntu Team

Greek Team

Honduras Team

Hungarian Team

Ubuntu Ireland

Ubuntu Israel

  • The new site is growing rapidly and is almost ready for use, it's going to be open on the next few days for users to test it.
  • We are going to help spread the word about ubuntu and open software on the open software day which will be in Israel on the 21/09.

Japanese Team

Korean Team

Nicaraguan Team

Norwegian team

Philippine Team

Romanian Team

Quebec Team

Russian Team

Serbian Team

  • August 3rd: SerbianTeam successfully passed re-approval application process! Details of meeting, application page

  • August 5th: Transition on new hosting server successfully finished. Site, forum, planet and wiki moved to new server and launched according to new Ubuntu branding.

  • August 18th: Open competition for forum moderators was published

  • August 23rd : SerbianTeam submitted event for Ubuntu Global Jam event

  • August 28th: 7 members promoted to forum moderators and one to associate, LoCo core team expanded.

South African Ubuntu team

Swiss Team

Tamil Team

August 1,2010: Voorhees College Vellore - Ubuntu + Free Software event

Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team

Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team

United States Teams

US Teams Project

Ubuntu California

Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team

District of Columbia Team

Florida LoCo Team

  • Team Meeting for August 3rd was held, UDS in Orlando Ideas and Preparations were discussed.
  • Team Meeting for August 17th was held, Team Reports, UDS planning and UGJ planning were discussed.
  • Cary Haynie will take over meeting chair for September
  • Linux SIG was held on August 26th, 10 attendees.

Iowa Team

New York State Team


  • August 1 2010 10am - 7pm: Debian Day at Columbia University (Dara Adib)
  • August 21 2010 12pm - 4pm: Linux Workshop co-sponsored with Interlock at Interlock Rochester


  • No mettings held


  • Proposals for NYSCATE accepted. Will sponsor one 6 hour hands-on lab and one 1 hour presentation at the state wide educational technology conference

Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team

Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team

holstein and internalkernel started helping with the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter.

Ohio Team

Pennsylvania Team

Washington Team

  • Revived the leadership nominations/elections process. Note: Election Page needs updating.

  • Local Ubuntu Global Jam -- two attended, and did Kubuntu Maverick install testing, with the LiveCD, a LiveUSB, and in virtual machines. No successful installs at the event. Global Jam continues in IRC!

  • Planning Software Freedom Day next month, perhaps on the ferry. Will invite GSLUG, Seattle Linuxchix, and more
  • Began planning Release Party 10.10

Ubuntu Venezuela Team

Zimbabwe Team

Additional Ubuntu Teams

Ubuntu Accessibility Team

  • Accessibility Persona project continues, the initial survey has been closed with about 25 detailed responses. These have been grouped by impairment in preparation for writing our new persona documents.
  • AlanBell wrote a review of the audio installer

  • A meeting was held on August 18 in #ubuntu-accessibility

Ubuntu Beginners Team

Ubuntu Classroom Team

Ubuntu NGO Team

  • Held an IRC meeting after a long hiatus.
  • Started consolidating case studies to one location.
  • Noted how the M-cycle has been odd for team efforts.

Ubuntu Women Team

TeamReports/August2010 (last edited 2010-09-06 14:29:37 by 99-21-107-94)