July 2011 Team Reports



  1. July 2011 Team Reports
    1. Ubuntu Governance
      1. Americas Regional Membership Board
      2. Community Council
      3. Developer Membership Board
  2. Developer Membership Board meeting 2011-07-18 19:00 UTC
    1. Administrative Matters
      1. Temporary resolution: Endorse Emmet's voting summary in the interim pending TB feedback
    2. Ubuntu Contributing Developer Applications
      1. Juan Negron
    3. PerPackageUploader Applications
      1. Gerfried Fuchs
    4. MOTU Applications
      1. Andrea Veri (Renewal)
      2. EMEA Regional Membership Board
      3. Forum Council
      4. IRC Council
    5. Meeting held on July 31st, 2011 in #ubuntu-meeting.
    6. Other actions
      1. LoCo Council
      2. Technical Board
    7. Ubuntu Development Teams
      1. Reviewers Team
      2. Xubuntu Team
      3. Xubuntu team report for July, 2011
        1. Bug Triage
        2. Packaging, Development, & Testing
        3. Website & Marketing
        4. Artwork
        5. Community
        6. Documentation
        7. Governance
      4. Ubuntu Studio
  3. Ubuntu Studio Reporting Page
    1. The Report
  4. Release Development
  5. Website Update
  6. ubuntustudio-controls
  7. Backports
  8. Bug Reports
    1. Opened Bugs
    2. Updated Bugs
    3. Marked as Incomplete Bugs
    4. Closed Bugs
  9. Kernel Development
    1. Previous Reports
      1. 2011
      2. 2010
    2. Ubuntu LoCo Teams
      1. Argentina Team
      2. Asturian Team
      3. Australian Team
      4. Belgian Team
      5. Cameroonian Team
      6. Canadian Team
      7. Catalan Team
      8. China Team
      9. Chilean Team
      10. Ubuntu Colombia
      11. Czech Team
      12. Danish Team
      13. Ecuador Team
      14. French Team
      15. German Kubuntu Team
      16. Greek Team
      17. Honduras Team
      18. Hungarian Team
      19. Indian Team
      20. Ubuntu Ireland
      21. Ubuntu Israel
      22. Japanese Team
      23. Korean Team
      24. Nicaraguan Team
      25. Norwegian team
      26. Philippine Team
      27. Quebec Team
      28. Romanian Team
      29. Russian Team
      30. Serbian Team
      31. South African Ubuntu team
      32. Swedish Team
      33. Swiss Team
      34. Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team
      35. Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team
      36. United States Teams
        1. US Teams Project
        2. Ubuntu California
        3. Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team
        4. District of Columbia Team
        5. Florida LoCo Team
        6. Iowa Team
        7. New York State Team
        8. Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team
        9. Ohio Team
        10. Pennsylvania Team
        11. Virginia Team
        12. Washington Team
        13. Wisconsin Team
      37. Ubuntu Venezuela Team
      38. Zimbabwe Team
    3. Additional Ubuntu Teams
      1. Ubuntu Accessibility Team
      2. Ubuntu Beginners Team
      3. Ubuntu Classroom Team
      4. Ubuntu NGO Team
      5. Ubuntu Women Team

If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.

Ubuntu Governance

Americas Regional Membership Board

Community Council

Developer Membership Board

Developer Membership Board meeting 2011-07-18 19:00 UTC

Chair: Cody A.W. Somerville

Present: Michael Bienia, Stéphane Graber, Mackenzie Morgan, Benjamin Drung, Emmet Hikory

Administrative Matters

Temporary resolution: Endorse Emmet's voting summary in the interim pending TB feedback

Agree that our current voting procedure is as described by Emmet via e-mail (ref: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2011-July/000956.html).

Final result is 5 for, 0 against. 1 abstained. Total: 5

AGREED: Current DMB voting procedure is as described at https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2011-July/000956.html

Ubuntu Contributing Developer Applications

Juan Negron


Final result is 0 for, 2 against. 4 abstained. Total: -2

Application deferred; remedial advice provided by the board to the candidate.

ACTION: Board to review how applicants who've mostly contributed to upstream projects that are highly symbiotic with Ubuntu (e.g. Ensemble and Orchestra) are considered. The current consensus is that although this contributions can be used to satisfy certain tests applied by the board to determine level of skill, it is not clear if it is appropriate to use it to satisfy the test of sustained and significant *development* contribution to Ubuntu (especially versus the less specific test of sustained and significant contribution to Ubuntu applied by the Regional Membership Boards). In previous applications to the DMB and Regional Membership Boards, significant contributions to upstream projects exclusively but not to Ubuntu specifically have not been deemed satisfactory. Some members of the board suspect that this applicant would have been more successful if Juan had applied for PPU for the ensemble related packages he works on or for Ubuntu membership from his applicable Regional Membership Board.

PerPackageUploader Applications

Gerfried Fuchs


Applicant requests per-package upload permissions for the following packages:

  • beep
  • irssi
  • logcheck

Iain Lane provided vote on application via e-mail.

Final result is 7 for, 0 against. 0 abstained. Total: 7

Application accepted; ACTION to grant applicant approved upload permissions.

MOTU Applications

Andrea Veri (Renewal)


Applicant requests renewal of their MOTU membership one year after its expiry.

Final result is 6 for, 0 against. 0 abstained. Total: 6

Application accepted; ACTION to grant applicant approved membership.

EMEA Regional Membership Board

Forum Council

IRC Council

Meeting held on July 31st, 2011 in #ubuntu-meeting.

Attendance: nhandler, topyli Guests: k1l

Due to the lack of quorum and short agenda, this was a more informal meeting than usual.

The main topic of the meeting was k1l's membership application. nhandler and topyli questioned him, but were unable to vote due to lack of quorum. The other IRCC members will be contacted, and the results of the membership application will be sent out shortly.

It was also announced that the eir-ubottu integration testing has been going well. The plugin will be enabled in #ubuntu soon (announcement will precede this action).

Full Log: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/07/31/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t18:01

The Ubuntu IRC Council is pleased to welcome Achim Behrens as the newest Ubuntu IRC Member.

Achim Behrens https://launchpad.net/~k1l | https://wiki.ubuntu.com/k1l

Achim has been doing some great work in the German support and offtopic IRC channels. He has advanced from giving support to serving as an operator to being asked to serve as a superop. We hope to see him continue with this great work, as he plays an essential role in keeping the channels running smoothly.

A transcript of the meeting where Achim was questioned is available, but the vote was done privately following the meeting (due to lack of quorum).

Other actions

  • Testing of ubottu's eir integration plugin
  • 1 private issue dealt with
  • Added founder access for Zach Gibbens (cyberanger) to #ubuntu-us-tn
  • Request ticket to make irclogs.ubuntu.com time stamps UTC (LP: #803970) (RT: #17401) - Done

  • Add logging bot to #ubuntu-brainstorm (LP: #804307) (RT: #17409) - Cancelled

  • Fixed Founder/Made sure channel was setup in #ubuntu-eo
  • Closure of #ubuntu-app-devel

LoCo Council

Technical Board

Ubuntu Development Teams

Reviewers Team

Xubuntu Team

Xubuntu team report for July, 2011

Bug Triage

  • Set up a tentative daily testing schedule.

Packaging, Development, & Testing

  • Many bugs have been fixed.
  • Released Oneiric Ocelot Alpha2.
  • LightDM replaced GDM as the login manager.

Website & Marketing

  • Approval has been received for the website to be converted to Wordpress.
  • Website team is currently working on a test site of Wordpress for http://xubuntu.org .

  • Re-wrote several pages for the Xubuntu website.
  • Xubuntu needs a Marketing Lead. Contact us per http://xubuntu.org/devel or email charlie-tca@ubuntu.com, if interested.

    • Marketing Lead will produce of news releases, blog articles, advertising Xubuntu, tracking reviews of Xubuntu.


  • Greybird gtk-theme improvements
  • Working on a new plymouth theme.
  • Xubuntu needs an Artwork Lead. Contact us per http://xubuntu.org/devel or email charlie-tca@ubuntu.com, if interested.

    • Artwork Lead will work with the current artists for Xubuntu, producing themes, plymouth theme, website graphics, and other art as needed.


  • We are striving to get more users to blog about Xubuntu. We would like to get word out of the changes being made, as well as new releases.
  • The Xubuntu Community holds a regular meetings alternating on Mondays at 19:00 UTC and Sundays at 22:00 UTC in #xubuntu-devel. Please see the schedule and agenda at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings.



  • An ammendment to the Xubuntu Strategy Document has been proposed and published to the mailing lists. A two-week comment period has resulted in no comments.

Ubuntu Studio

Ubuntu Studio Reporting Page

Welcome to the Ubuntu Studio reporting page. Every month this page should be filled with bullet points indicating the summary of some of the work you have been working on. As you work on something, try to summarize it here. A few guidelines for how to write good points here:

  • Keep it simple and short - single sentences are best. Smile :)

  • Try to summarize your work and not be over-detailed - we don't need to know specifics, just a summary of the kind of work involved
  • Where possible, include relevant links.

The Report

Release Development

See the Oneiric release planning wiki page for details.

  • TODO

Website Update

See the Website Update wiki page for details.

  • Brian David emailed the dev mailing list with the example website files for testing
    • Testers will need a local instance of Drupal
    • Testers will most likely also need a local instance of MySQL
    • Testing will need to follow the included README.txt file
  • ScottLavender agreed to prepare 2nd draft of site map focusing on primary features


See the -controls development wiki page for details.

  • ailo and paultag have been hacking up code for the update
  • ScottLavender is getting anxious to get it built, testing, and pushed to the repos :/


See the Ubuntu Studio Backports wiki page for details.

Bug Reports

Opened Bugs

  • Several backport requests were filed. See BACKPORTS section above for details.
  • TODO

Updated Bugs

  • TODO

Marked as Incomplete Bugs

  • TODO

Closed Bugs

  • TODO

Kernel Development

  • ScottLavender began building -lowlatency kernel with aboganni's assistance in hopes of getting it in Natty

  • It is realised the window for getting the -lowlatency kernel in Natty is very slim

Previous Reports




Ubuntu LoCo Teams

Argentina Team

Asturian Team

Australian Team

  • July Team Meeting - This meeting was on the 10th of July 2011 and attended by 12 team members

  • Benny (benonsoftware on IRC) was to investigate holding a Ubuntu-Australia Documentation Jam and email the list with suggestions. The Documentation Jam has since been confirmed to take place on Friday 2nd September from 7pm-9pm (AEST) and will be hosted on #ubuntu-au on irc.freenode.net.

  • jpickett (sagaci on IRC) was to email the list in regards to holding a Translation Jam for 11.10. The Translation Jam has since been confirmed to take place on Saturday 3rd September from 2pm-4pm (AEST) and will be hosted on #ubuntu-au on irc.freenode.net.

  • The idea of an induction for new members was floated. This discussion resulted in a decision by those in attendance for specific tweaks to be made to the website. The website is to be updated to have a link for new members and the wiki welcome is to be made more wiki specific to remove a lot of confusion that new members experience.
  • Jellyware updated the team on the status of the Australian Ubuntu CD mailout service. It continues to be utilised by Australian Ubuntu users and http://ubuntu.net.au has been updated to Wordpress.

  • JaredNorris was to work out a mission statement based on feedback, and post to the mailing list. This has occurred and the finalising discussions continue.

  • JaredNorris emailed the list regarding the the team re-approval page asking for any final additions or alterations prior to submission of the application for re-approval on the 8th of July 2011.

  • Apparently jpickett (sagaci on IRC) was feeling lonely as the only Australian on the Ubuntu Hall of Fame so it seems JoelAddison has gone on to join him in the translation top contributors. Well done to both of you!

Belgian Team

Cameroonian Team

Canadian Team

Catalan Team

China Team

Chilean Team

Ubuntu Colombia

Czech Team

Danish Team

Ecuador Team

French Team

  • July 2nd - Premier Samedi du Libre in Paris
    This is a multi-distribution small install fest where around 60 people come to get help configuring and installing their Linux system.

  • July 6th - Ubuntu Hour in Paris
    Organized to welcome our canadian friends desrt and mimico, we were around 15 people.

  • July 9th to 14th - RMLL in Strasbourg
    2011 Libre Software Meeting is a free (as a beer and as a speech) and non commercial conference with talks, workshops and round tables about Free Software and its uses. The LSM goal is to provide a place for exchange between Free Software developers, users and stakeholders. Ubuntu-fr was there on a booth and hold also a permanent install fest. This year the event introduced the free beer, a beer with an free recipe.

  • July 14th to 17th - Festival des Vieilles Charrues in Carhaix
    The Vieilles Charrues invited us for the third time to hold a webcafe on Ubuntu for the festival-goers. We didn't put any restriction, neither on which website were accessible, neither on Ubuntu, as we wanted people to discover it. This year our multi-site was ready, and the 12 desktop sessions ran on only 2 computers with the help of Xephyr.

  • July 23th - Ubuntu Hour in Paris
    organized at the last minute we go to a japanese restaurant to eat sushis.

  • July 25th - Ubuntu Hour in Paris
    We join with our Mozilla friends to share a drink, it was also the last time with desrt and mimico who have to go back to canada.

German Kubuntu Team

Greek Team

  • Ubuntistas #12 is out! Ubuntistas is the Greek LoCo's magazine. You can get your copy (in Greek) here.

Honduras Team

Hungarian Team

Indian Team

Ubuntu Ireland

  • An Ubuntu Hour Dublin took place at The Trinity Capital Hotel Bar on the 6th of July. Some pictures of this event can be found here

  • Regular Monthly IRC Meeting was held at 8pm Irish time on Wednesday the 20th of July, 2011.

Ubuntu Israel

Japanese Team

Korean Team

Nicaraguan Team

Norwegian team

Philippine Team

Quebec Team

Romanian Team

Russian Team

Serbian Team

South African Ubuntu team

Swedish Team

Swiss Team

Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team

Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team

  • During the Ubuntu Developer week presentations were given by directhex and phillw
  • During the Ubuntu Community week presentations were given by Alan Bell, Alan Pope and Laura Czajkowski

United States Teams

US Teams Project

Ubuntu California

Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team

District of Columbia Team

Florida LoCo Team

Please update with team activity from 11/July here.

Iowa Team

New York State Team

Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team

Ohio Team

Pennsylvania Team

Virginia Team

Washington Team

Wisconsin Team

* No scheduled meetings this month. Please bring up new business in the mailing list or the irc channel.

* Events: Madison Ubuntu Hour is the third Saturday of each month, hosted by Madison LUG. This month's was July 16. The next Madison Ubuntu Hour will be 20 Aug.

* We welcome new members. Join the Launchpad Team and the mailing list, and get involved!

Ubuntu Venezuela Team

Zimbabwe Team

Additional Ubuntu Teams

Ubuntu Accessibility Team

Ubuntu Beginners Team

There no team meeting in the July 2011

Ubuntu Classroom Team

Ubuntu NGO Team

Ubuntu Women Team

TeamReports/July2011 (last edited 2011-08-14 16:32:59 by lyz)